Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird green screen with pink apple then no input signal detected?

Tried using different HDMI cables but pUser uploaded fileroblem appears to be with Apple TV. Get no signal on TV. If I pull out and replace power cord from rear of unit I get green fuzzy background with pink apple while Appletv is booting, then "no signal". What must I do? Apple TV out of warranty. Has already been replaced because of WiFi failure. V. disappointed😟

Apple TV, 3rd gen.

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 11:34 PM

10 replies

Feb 10, 2016 10:06 AM in response to J A Paton

If your Apple TV fails to restore through iTunes……..

• Check that you have correctly followed the instructions for your model of Apple TV.
  • If not already, try using a powered USB port.
  • Repeat the process but this time try connecting the cable while iTunes is closed.
  • Repeat the process with another cable.
  • Try restoring the Apple TV on another computer in another location.

Feb 10, 2016 9:56 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks Winston,

Changed cable and used powered USB and was able to restore AppleTV. However, sadly despite changing HDMI cables same problem persists. Best I can manage is flashing green screen and pink apple, while booting up AppleTV after which "No Signal". Fear this is a hardware problem? My internet isn't unlimited so don't want to waste another 800+ MB of data, if restoring isn't the trick - also failed to restore earlier while using PPC Mac Mini with older iTunes - downloaded but couldn't install, thankfully restore worked with Macbook Pro and latest iTunes but result of restore is no different. 😟 Tony.

Feb 11, 2016 3:27 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks Winston,

I feared that this was a possibility.

Out of warranty, is it worth replacing?

As I mentioned, this unit is itself a replacement for a WiFi issue recall.

I know AppleTV is one of Apple's less expensive products but my experience of it is getting close to Huawei territory - a cheap smartphone I bought because of rave reviews, that bricked about a week out of warranty, paid for repair, then touchscreen failed not long after. I would like to continue using AppleTV because it mirrors my Macbookpro but my experience with the 3rd gen. AppleTV makes me leary of spending money on a new one. Maybe I'm just unlucky? Regards, Tony.

Feb 11, 2016 3:41 AM in response to J A Paton

Maybe I'm just unlucky? Regards, Tony.

Perhaps.

Over the last 9 years, I've bought 16 Apple TV's. I currently use 7 at home and 2 at work, the others have been replaced because I wanted newer models and not because of failure.

I do appreciate that in itself however it is a very small sample for comparison. During those 9 years though, I have been a regular in this community and have seen what I deem to be a very good record when it comes to failures. The worst record was with the Apple TV 1, but even that didn't seem to be too bad in the context of how many discussions were started about that particular model. The Apple TV 2 and 3 seem to have been very robust. There was I believe a problem with a batch that had a specific wifi chip in them, but I believe those were replaced under warranty (indeed I'm not certain, but it may be that your own experience with your Apple TV 3 fell into that category)

Feb 11, 2016 7:57 AM in response to J A Paton

Hello Winston, thanks for the feedback re. your experience of AppleTV. I live in south-east Asia, so was affected by the WiFi recall. I am somewhat sceptical about the juxtaposition of the words "P.R.C." and "quality control", since in this part of the world, we witness how very bad P.R.C. low-end exports are. It's difficult to entirely escape the suspicion that not every batch of goods made for Apple is of the highest quality throughout. I may be viewing the past through rose-tinted glasses but my Apple products from the early '000's are still working - some made in China, others not but I reckon all better quality than my AppleTV, apparently.

Weird green screen with pink apple then no input signal detected?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.