Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BootCamp Windows 7 Black Screen at logon

I have recently started using Bootcamp Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) on my Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. It was initially working well and I had no issues. Only after it automatically updated (I forgot that it was a thing to have to turn off automatic updates on Windows) did the issue arise. I have only VERY infrequently been able to have the machine start into Windows 7. Usually it is fine while it is 'Starting Windows' but when the cursor loads for the logon screen it turns black and the cursor disappears. It loads fine in Safe Mode which leads me to suspect some issues with the graphics driver. It will also load fine if I disable just the graphics driver (Nvidia 320M). The same issue arises when I close the lid and the computer engages sleep mode. I will only get a black screen when attempting to wake the computer.

I have tried re-installing drivers, repairing the computer, deleting updates (I am unable to delete KB3020369 and KB3020370 which were both installed on the day the issues began), I have tried previous version drivers and clearing the registry out. I am unable to to a system restore as I have no restore points that were prior to the issue.

I am a teacher and I use this laptop at school. It was a drama to have the laptop connected to the school network initially so I am hesitant to do a clean install if I can avoid it.

What can I do to stop the black screen? I am about to lose it and I have spent many hours reading forums and how-to's trying to fix it.

Alternatively, I just need to be able to connect an external monitor (my classroom projector and interactive whiteboard) and also be able to close the laptop lip to initiate sleep mode. Is there a way I can do this?

Any help is appreciated!

MacBook Pro, Windows 7, Mid 2010

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 11:48 PM

9 replies

Feb 10, 2016 5:42 AM in response to jarrodboyle7

Find your specific model in the table at Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support and download the appropriate BC driver package to a USB2 flash drive. Create a Windows System Restore point in it's current state. Run the setup.exe in Bootcamp folder and if it installs successfully, reboot and test.

You should turn off Windows Automatic Updates before you get started.

BootCamp Windows 7 Black Screen at logon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.