Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The lightening bolt symbol isn't popping up when i charge it

I've read through just about every online forum ever about iphones not charging. I've already had a brief panic attack and crying session over this matter. I have checked every cord i own. I have cleaned out the charging-thing on my iphone as instructed and came out with no lint. Every time i plug it in it doesn't say anything ( no lightening bolt and no screen telling me that it is now charging). I have started and restarted my phone about two times now as well as powered it off about four. I plugged it into my computer and my computer made a noise- which means it recognizes the cord and the phone. That has to mean that it is somehow working. Now... I unplugged it from my computer and put it back into the wall and have, yet again, powered it off. Just to check and see if i need to take a trip to the apple store tomorrow... you know... cause that is important. To my great surprise the charge was instead of the 9% that it was once on it was now on 14%. It was still plugged it- but i have the same problem.... no lightening bolt. I have never dropped my iphone in water, nor has it taken a great tumblr. There isn't a scratch on the screen. I've had it for about a year and a half now...

Can someone please help me? I'm freaking out big time here.

iPhone 5c

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 2:30 AM

Try a force restart, there will be no data loss:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Do not self repair or to any 3rd parties shop, until there is no other options.

All warranty and services from Apple are void if you open the iPhone yourself or by someone else.

9 replies

Feb 10, 2016 5:43 PM in response to Brenna_

Ok.

Well it will likely be one of 3 things: either a bad charge port, a bad battery, or a bad U2 IC (charging controller chip).

Your options are:

1. take it to Apple for an Out Of Warranty replacement.

2. take it to an independent repairer - the charge ports and batteries in them are relatively cheap to replace.

The U2 IC is bit more involved and specialized work. You would need to find a micro solderer to carry out this type of work.

Feb 10, 2016 2:20 AM in response to Brenna_

Charge ports are extremely susceptible to damage because you constantly use them and after time they wear down. Most 5c's are out of warranty, so you might be able to do an out of warranty service but that would cost you $279 which I believe to be much higher than the value of the phone. Installing a new dock connector might be worth it, as that would most likely solve the problem.

Feb 10, 2016 5:25 PM in response to SunOfRa78

It does. I charged it overnight with the power turned off and, to my surprise, when i turned it back on it was on 100%. It is now down to 10% once again after a day of use, and to my horror it is still not

notifying me that it is charging as well as the Lightening bolt symbol isn't popping up.

Seeing as it is about to die i powered it off again and then plugged it back into the wall. Let's just wait and see if it charges. If it doesn't i guess i will take it to the Apple Store in the morning.

Feb 11, 2016 6:35 AM in response to Brenna_

It sounds like this is most likely either a bad charging flex cable or a bad battery. The good news is that you can check the heath of the battery without having to do anything more than hook your phone up to your computer! There is software which you can use to check the actual capacity of the battery vs the rated capacity and also see the cycle count. If you find that your actual capacity is 800mAh when it should be closer to 1500mAh then you know for sure you will need a new battery.

If you're using windows, download and install iBackupBot, connect your phone, click on the name of the phone in the bottom left side pane, then click "more information" under the picture of the iphone in the right side of the window. That will show you your battery statistics.
If you're using a Mac, download and run coconutBattery, connect the phone, then click on the iPhone tab at the top.

<Edited by Host>

Feb 10, 2016 9:00 PM in response to Brenna_

Brenna_ wrote:

Seeing as it is about to die i powered it off again and then plugged it back into the wall. Let's just wait and see if it charges. If it doesn't i guess i will take it to the Apple Store in the morning.

Way to go Brenna, see what options you have instead of following all these repair yourself experts who just joined the forum today.

The lightening bolt symbol isn't popping up when i charge it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.