Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring music to a new computer

How do I transfer the music from my old Windows Vista laptop onto my new Windoes 10 Lenovo laptop?

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 1:19 AM

3 replies

Feb 11, 2016 8:11 AM in response to GrahamC1

Hi GrahamC1,

Thanks for the question. Here are the steps for moving your iTunes library to your new computer. I personally recommend the option to back up your iTunes Library to an external drive first.

Manage and back up your iTunes media library

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer

When you get a new computer, you can move your iTunes library so that you can play your media on and sync with your new computer.

Before you begin

Make a new backup of your iTunes library or update your existing backup before you move it. Even if you already have a backup of your iTunes library, this step makes sure you capture any changes and makes the process easier.

Migration

If you want to move your library to a new Mac, you can migrate your data from another Mac or a PC. If you are replacing your PC, you might be able to use Windows Easy Transfer. This option might be slower than other options, but it's more thorough.

Use an external drive

If you're using this method on a Mac:

1. From the Finder menu, choose Preferences.
  2. Make sure that the boxes next to "External disks" and "Hard disks" are enabled.

Part 1: Install iTunes

Download and install the latest version of iTunes.

Part 2: Move any new content

If you’ve used iTunes on your new computer, move your media to a new folder. This will keep anything you added to your new computer separate from your old library. These files can be added back to your library in Part 4.

Move your iTunes Media folder (Mac)
Move your iTunes Media folder (Windows)

Part 3: Copy the iTunes backup from your old computer

To copy all of your media files, including the library file that holds all your playlists and other settings, to your new computer:

Locate the following folder on your new computer.

• Windows Vista: Navigate to \Users\username\Music\iTunes.
  • Windows 7 and Windows 8: Navigate to \Users\username\My Music\iTunes.
  1. Drag the iTunes folder in this location onto the desktop.
  2. Windows: From the My Music folder to the Desktop:

User uploaded file
  3. Locate the external drive on your new computer:

Windows: In My Computer or Computer.

1. Double-click the external drive icon to open it.
  2. Drag the iTunes folder from your external drive to the My Music Folder (Windows) on your new computer. The transfer might take a while if you have a lot of content.

Windows: From the external drive to the Music library:

User uploaded file
  3. Open iTunes.

You've now moved all of your music, playlists, and other information—including play counts and ratings—from your old computer to your new one.

Part 4 (optional): Add back new content

Copy the iTunes Media folder you created in Part 2 into the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder inside the iTunes Media folder you copied in Part 3. iTunes will automatically import the content.

If you previously subscribed to iTunes Match, you can turn on iTunes Match once your new computer is authorized.

After you transfer your library

1. If you plan to stop using your old computer, deauthorize it by choosing Store > Deauthorize This Computer from the iTunes menu bar.
  2. If you used iTunes on your old computer to back up your iOS device, back up your devices on your new computer or manually transfer the backups from your old computer. Learn more about creating and deleting iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch backups in iTunes.
  3. If you used iCloud with your old computer for syncing, set up iCloud on your new computer.
  4. If you will continue to use your old computer, recreate your iTunes library. This prevents an iOS device from seeing the old computer as the new one because of the old library files.

Last Modified: Dec 2, 2015

Feb 15, 2016 11:20 AM in response to GrahamC1

Hi Judysings,

Thanks for the response and sorry it has taken so long to reply. Yes it worked. I did back up my itunes folder on to an external hard drive first. I did make the mistake of copying several music folders the first time with the result that I had up to 6 copies of each track on some albums! I managed to correct that though.

I now have the problem of transferring all my diary data from an old (2010) version of MS Outlook on my old laptop to my new version on the new laptop. Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Graham

Feb 15, 2016 11:47 AM in response to GrahamC1

Hi GrahamC1,

I'm glad you got your iTunes library all squared away. You said you cleaned up your duplicates, but I just wanted to make sure you had the resource below for the future.

Find and remove duplicate items in your iTunes library

For your Outlook question, I would have to defer to Microsoft for instructions on how to backup and restore your diary and contact information.

The link above to Microsoft's website may get you started, as it covers Outlook 2010.

Take care,

Transferring music to a new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.