Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting Raid 1 on Xserve 1.0

hi guys,

i have just installed OS X Server 10.5 on an Xserve 1.0, which has 2 x 250gb hdds.

I have installed the OS on one of the hdd. The other is blank.😟

I Wish to set up raid 1 on these hdds, which are in the Xserve. What i am not sure is:

* if i have to set up the raid, beginning with the install disc and then jump to the disk utility or i can just do the set up while i am in the OS.

* also i did not zero erase the hdd which the OS is installed currently. Do i have to zero it And install afresh ? 😝 ( the xserve was used by a company and was running fine when i bought it recently)

ALso, i am super noob with an Xserve. Dont have any knowledge on how to even set it up! I wish to use with my home network ( more of a fun thing ). Any guide will be much appreciated. Thanks.

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6, 16GB, White, running 112 apps..

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 1:21 AM

5 replies

Feb 10, 2016 12:23 PM in response to Sureshk0505

The specifics varied across OS versions, but I'm trying to remember which OS versions supported RAIDing the drives post-install.

IIRC (and I may be wrong), versions up to 10.4 supported RAID-after-install via the GUI, but in 10.5 that option was lost/removed. It was, however, still possible to do via the command line (via something like raidutil enableRAID mirror disk0; raidutil addToRAID ... but I forget the specifics)

Since this is a plaything for you, there's no harm in trying... 🙂

That said, if you simply re-installed the OS over an existing installation, it will just update the OS, leaving much of the configuration in place. For this reason you might want to wipe the drive first. Of course, at that point, it's easy to RAID the drives before starting a new install.

As for setup hints, the XServe was designed to be managed remotely, via Apple's Server Admin.app You may need this installed on a client system on the network in order to setup your new Mac. I assume you've found the http://www.apple.com/xserve/pdf/Xserve_User_Guide.pdf

Feb 10, 2016 9:15 PM in response to Camelot

HI, thanks for your reply.

I Did a clean install of 10.5. , but i did not zero erase the hdd. I have the OS updated to 10.5.8, took a while, so i am comtemplating on as to another clean install!

So, if i can and am able to set the raid with the OS disks, should i proceed with that ?

YEs i will be using it headless but i am able to acess the Xserve via remote from another Mac, so that should do it right ?

YEap, its for my home network, nothing official, but i want to get it right as i intend to store my shill pics in it.

thanks for the link, no havent looked at this yet.

Feb 11, 2016 7:18 AM in response to Camelot

HI again,

i Ddnt quite explain that i was attempting to set the raid on the xserve itself, not on the external raid box. Which means i am using the bays in the xserve, which means i am will be raiding the OS itself and whatever is stored in the main hdd, thus i think, the only way to create a raid would be installing the OS again.

THis is my assumption, i am not sure if that is correct. I came to this conclusion because, while setting up the raid, i believe i will be require to format the hdd with extended journal, so how can i erase a hdd which i am running on.

DOes what i am saying make sense ? Or i am just cofusing my self.

Setting Raid 1 on Xserve 1.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.