Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic mouse click intermittently not working

Hi Folks. The main (left) click on my Magic mouse is intermittently not working. Sometimes it doesn't register that I've clicked, sometimes it releases too soon. It's not a connection dropout problem, I think it's a physical problem. I'm thinking it might be needing a good clean inside but wouldn't know how to open the thing! Thanks for your help in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 2:49 AM

11 replies

Feb 10, 2016 2:54 PM in response to Draxx Menvone

Hello Draxx Menvone,

You don't say which Magic Mouse you have. The Magic mouse number 1 can be cleaned fairly easily. Open the compartment. remove the batteries and with a Q-tip (dampened, not wet, and some white vinegar) rub over the internal connection points and then the battery terminals before replacing them. The Magic mouse number 2 (the latest one) is a different matter.

Feb 11, 2016 12:20 AM in response to Draxx Menvone

My main intention was to show you how to open up a mouse for those repairs you are permitted to do. Going any further will void any warranty you have left ... 12 months from the date of purchase. If it is out of warranty I guess you could ask any shop, authorised or not, whether the mouse can be opened. It is just possible a small piece of grit has found its way into the gap between the top and the body section. If you have a brush with strong hair you could try running it around that gap.

Feb 11, 2016 12:53 AM in response to seventy one

Hallo again seventy one

I think it's the main shell between the top surface and the main body I'd need to open rather than the battery compartment to get to cleaning the clicker. I've since seen a video on Youtube showing this and it looks pretty brutal as the whole thing is glued together. Shame Apple purposefully make high quality items like this non user serviceable. Think it's destined for the IT landfill. 😟

Magic mouse click intermittently not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.