Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VLC problem

I was asked update VLC but after I downloaded it I virus checked it and it says it has a threat, something to do with OSX/AMC, which seems to indicate adware so can I ignore it and install it. Can anyone help please?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 4:57 AM

15 replies

Feb 10, 2016 7:48 AM in response to anthonyfromdf

Do not confuse malware as virus.

There's no known virus in the wild that can run on a Mac, so AVG on your Mac is useless.

Show me one if you think they do.

BTW, you should instead update your Mac OS X to 10.11.3 for security and bug fixes.

But then it's your computer, do what makes you happy.

FWIW, I have a Mac since 2009 without any anti-virus apps and the Mac is running fine.

Feb 10, 2016 8:00 AM in response to ckuan

I think I had a virus on my Mac.

Once.

Back in 1993.

There was some free utility for rare viruses back then. Otherwise I don't think I have had a virus scanner on my computer in about 18 years. You run virus scanners on a Mac to protect your friends using Windows computers from getting something you are passing on from another Windows user, otherwise they are a marketing ploy for a solution in search of a problem.

Feb 11, 2016 5:15 AM in response to ckuan

I did have a trojan recently but it was picked up by the antivirus not when it happened but after doing a full scan. A phishing site partly lock Safari, part of a Mac keeper ad. It asked me to ring a number to releases it but I did not. I disconnected from the internet cleared my web data, caches and cookies. Went back on and everything was okay then. This may help anyone who had a similar problem.

Feb 11, 2016 5:47 AM in response to anthonyfromdf

anthonyfromdf wrote:

... although I don't agree that Macs don't get viruses because they do.

Then provide an example. One will be sufficient.

"AVG" will leave your Mac more vulnerable to unauthorized modifications. Uninstall it and restore your Mac from a backup created prior to letting it corrupt your system. Do not reinstall it, or anything like it, ever again. Non-Apple "anti-virus" products serve no beneficial purpose on Macs.

To uninstall "AVG" read and follow these instructions, with particular attention given to the grammatically incorrect "Note" near the end of the page: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?q=uninstall+avg&urlname=How-to-uninst all-AVG-AntiVirus-for-Mac&l=en_US

Feb 11, 2016 6:03 AM in response to anthonyfromdf

it's what we in IT call a "false positive" meaning the Anti-Virus software is stupid and unreliable. Also as stated as many of us have found from other Mac users posting their issues that trace back to Mac AV (and not any infections) it's counter productive to have AV on the Mac.

Most if not all commercial Mac AV titles are poorly implemented train wrecks of their far better developed and integrated windows counterparts. If you didn't pay for AVG uninstall it, if you did, uninstall it and demand your money back.

VLC problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.