Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folder/Trash Problems

Hi all,

A folder that contained a load of audio files (called "Releases") suddenly wouldnt show its contents and I'd get the spinning wheel for a good 30 seconds before I could do anything on clicking the folder.

I moved it to the trash and tried to empty with no luck. Whilst the folder is in the trash, the same problem persists and I still cannot access or see any of its contents. If I search for any of the files within this folder in Finder/Spotlight they appear as being where they should be; in the folder thats in the trash. I can listen to the audio files from my search no problem, but I can't open the containing folder.

I've tried to show all hidden files, and to securely/force empty my trash but I get this error message:

The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “” can’t be read or written.

(Error code -36)

Also, on performing the force empty trash, the folder in question changed name and did again on a second try.

I honestly don't know what the problem is.. Could it be a virus of sorts? Hopefully this made sense! I'm currently runningMac OS X Lion 10.7.5 on a Macbook Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 5:47 AM

1 reply

Feb 11, 2016 10:15 AM in response to yipdeft

Hi yipdeft,
I understand that you are having issues with reading or deleting files on your Mac. Let's see if we can get this sorted out.
Now the first that comes to mind is to try some of the troubleshooting in the article below. I know it references to start up issues, but it does offer some troubleshooting that is helpful with issues related to accessing files. You will want to start up with Safe Mode as well as using Disk Utility to verify your hard drive. If it finds any issues, you will have the option to repair them.
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203176

Folder/Trash Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.