Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook connected via ethernet cable but browers cant find servers

Hello,

I am trying to use my macbook at work using ethernet cable from desktop computer in office at work due to there being no wifi here. It worked fine before the El Capitan update, but now it shows that ethernet cable is connected and diagnostic shows that everything is working properly, but safari almost instantly goes to "cannot find server" when trying to go to any webpage. Firefox does nothing. I have tried typing the IP adress for google directly in the URL box, have tried setting DNS server to 8.8.8.8 as I saw on another thread, firewall is allowing all connections, and wifi is turned off just incase. I dont know if this is something due to the El Capitan update or some other setting. As far as I know, nothing has changed with the connection at work since it worked last before the update. And the internet works fine via this ethernet cable on the desktop computer. I didnt want to try restoring to backup before update just incase there was another fix that anyone knows about. It is an early 2011 Macbook pro. The computers here at work wont let me update flash since I am not system administrator so I cant work on any of my online homework stuff for college in my downtime (which there is plenty of). Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 6:03 AM

1 reply

Macbook connected via ethernet cable but browers cant find servers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.