Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Filter limit or bug?

I'm trying to add filters to a spreadsheet. I want to add 12 filters to the spreadsheet. I've set "Show rows that match" to "any filter". I'm filtering on the "City" column (Data format is Automatic) and I've chosen the filtering rule "text is" with an "or" between each of the filters. I was able to add 7 cities to the filter list, but when I added the 8th city and hit the Return key, it would not activate the "or..." button. It remains greyed out and will not let me add the remaining 4 cities.

This is either a bug or a pretty major design flaw. Or, I'm doing something wrong?

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Numbers version 3.6.1.

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 5:16 AM

8 replies

Feb 10, 2016 11:18 AM in response to mdj7

Of historical interest, but possibly not applicable to Numbers 3: Numbers '09 also has an apparent maximum of 8 filtering rules. That would suggest the behaviour is not a bug.

Possible workaround: If your cities are in one or more relatively 'fixed' sets, it should be possible to generate a code for each of the cities that would include a letter pair (or trio or longer) for each of the sets to which it belongs. Filtering for "contains" (the set code) would show all the cities that belong in that set.

I've not investigated this further, and likely won't have time to do so in the next few days, but it may provide a starting point for someone.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 11, 2016 11:41 AM in response to mdj7

The only solution I've been able to make work is thus:

1. Create a "marker" column that contains a value (even a dot or something) after testing with an IF statement with lots of OR conditions (for instance, =IF(OR(City_cell="City1",City_cell="City2",City_cell="City3", etc...),"•","")
  2. Set a filter to eliminate any row containing a your value in the marker column

There may be a quicker or more elegant way; additionally, you'll have to have this formula in each row of your table. Fortunately, Numbers 3.x handles this kind of mass formula stuff better than previous versions. There are other things it does... less well, but the formula engine is considerably more robust. (That may be debatable, but that's been my experience.)

Feb 11, 2016 12:27 PM in response to macmikey

You could do something like this to see if a city is in a list:

Make a table with a list of cities (named "City"):

City

Include

Austin

TRUE

Houston

TRUE

Dallas

FALSE

San Marcos

TRUE

Fort Worth

TRUE

Atlanta

FALSE

Mobile

FALSE

Tampa

FALSE

Round Rock

FALSE

Cedar Park

FALSE

The include column is actually checkboxes which you can check or uncheck as needed. When you paste a table from Numbers to this forum it gets changed to the boolean values "TRUE" or "FALSE"

then

In another table:

A B C

City

In List

Anchorage

FALSE

Atlanta

FALSE

Austin

TRUE

Boston

FALSE

Cedar Park

FALSE

Chicago

FALSE

Dallas

FALSE

Denver

FALSE

Fort Worth

TRUE

Houston

TRUE

Las Vegas

FALSE

Litle Rock

FALSE

Mobile

FALSE

Round Rock

FALSE

San Marcos

TRUE

Santa Fe

FALSE

Tampa

FALSE

Tuscon

FALSE

select cell C2, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=IF(B2<>"",IF(COUNTIFS(City::A, B2, City::B, TRUE)>0, TRUE, FALSE), "")

shorthand for this is:

C2=IF(B2<>"",IF(COUNTIFS(City::A, B2, City::B, TRUE)>0, TRUE, FALSE), "")

select cell C2, copy

select cells C2 thru the end of column c, paste

Feb 12, 2016 7:51 AM in response to macmikey

Hi all,

I am a big fan of leveraging a filter column to increase the power of filters. Here is a variation on Wayne's approach that does it all in one table. The check box in A1 controls whether the filter is applied or not and could easily be in the same row as "City" and "filtered" and so eliminate my first row. I wanted to label it here "filter on".

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

WIth the filter on checking a city will make it disappear.

User uploaded file

And we can hide column C.

quinn

Filter limit or bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.