Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring iPad2

Hi,

After being prompted by my iPad2 - I am trying to update to the latest appropriate version of IOS via iTunes over USB cable. I am running the latest version of iTunes on a MacBookAir running El Cap.

First I get an iTunes message

"iPad cant be updated, you must restore it to factory settings".

When I do this, iTunes extracts the software & then in preparing iPad for restore I get from iTunes

"iPad could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3014)".

Meanwhile, on the iPad, all I see is the "plug usb cable into iTunes" graphic

If I press the on/off button for a few seconds the screen clears. If I press it again, I see the Apple logo, and then after a second, the "plug usb cable into iTunes" graphic returns.

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

Chris

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 6:17 AM

6 replies

Feb 10, 2016 7:27 AM in response to MichelPM

Hi Michel,

Thanks for replying. Do you know where I can look to see if there are more than the last backup kept? If I look in iTunes>Prefs>Devices - I see just the latest one. I think I have one on the cloud too - do you know how I can see that? If I do have one - how do I proceed? If not? What can I do.

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Chris

Feb 10, 2016 9:22 AM in response to c_p_bee

Good.

The next step is to restore your iPad to its original, default state. You WILL LOSE all of your data doing this process.

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Once you have restored the iPad as new, you can reconnect to iTunes this time restoring from your last saved backup on iTunes or from iCloud.

iCloud: Restore or set up your iOS device from iCloud

Feb 10, 2016 10:43 AM in response to MichelPM

Hi Michel,

So finally I succeeded - but by another method. I wasn't able to do iPad restore - simply nothing happened. Eventually I managed to access the iPad with "FonePaw iPad Data Recovery" , found by googling, such that it rebooted. I then backed it up with iTunes. I tried installing the IOS update again with iTunes but ended up in the same place, so after once again restarting it as above - I installed the IOS update over wifi (not iTunes). All seems OK now. Maybe there was an issue with the IOS update software that iTunes uploaded to itself.

In any case - thanks for your time in replying & encouraging me to persevere!!

Best wishes

Chris

Restoring iPad2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.