Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade crashes

Each time I open iTunes it asks me to upgrade the version that I am currently running. Click on the link and it takes me to Apple's webpage to download the software, no problems so far.

When I run the package it stops just after starting with the following error message.

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Anyone got any idea's. Vanilla windows 7 64-bit build with zero profile restrictions.

Thanks

Fish

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 6:53 AM

2 replies

Feb 11, 2016 12:11 PM in response to fishfd3s

Try repairing Apple Software Update from the Programs and Features control panel, then reinstall iTunes.

If it isn't there to remove see the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall utility mentioned in note 1 to the second box of the user tip mentioned below. As a last resort see the section Install missing components and install everything apart from ASU.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Upgrade crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.