Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Error 53" on iPhone 6+ without any prior unauthorized repairs

Hi,

I recently tried to upgrade my iPhone 6+ to the latest iOS 9 version (around a month ago) and unfortunately encountered the Error 53 problem which rendered my iPhone completely useless. I took it to the service centers in Singapore and they said that it is a hardware issue and they can only replace the phone for a fee since it is out of warranty. I practically gave up on it until I recently read the latest announcements by Apple and responses by the public (regarding lawsuits etc). My question is this: My phone has never been repaired or even opened up by any unauthorized 3rd parties. In fact the phone was in perfect working condition until I tried to issue the upgrade. And I still have not given the phone for any repairs to anyone. Surely the Apple service centers can provide an exception for such cases (I'm sure there must be methods for the Apple technicians to verify if an iPhone has been opened up previously) in which they can provide a option for a repair for a fee instead of demanding that I get a full out-of-warranty replacement.

Am I the only person here who thinks this is logical?

Thanks,

Hari

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 7:22 AM

10 replies

Feb 10, 2016 8:48 AM in response to deggie

Hi Deggie,

My question is why doesn't Apple provide me an option to repair the phone if indeed the TouchID has malfunctioned as you say, considering I never faced any issues with the phone in the first place (I have never configured TouchID even once. Not even just to try it out). It's really sad that a perfectly working phone has become completely useless just because I tried to upgrade it to the latest iOS version.

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2016 9:57 AM in response to solidnliquid

solidnliquid wrote:

Hi Deggie,

My question is why doesn't Apple provide me an option to repair the phone if indeed the TouchID has malfunctioned as you say, considering I never faced any issues with the phone in the first place (I have never configured TouchID even once. Not even just to try it out). It's really sad that a perfectly working phone has become completely useless just because I tried to upgrade it to the latest iOS version.

Thanks!

Your phone had a hardware defect (assuming there's been no damage or abuse).

You did not report such a defect until after your one-year warranty expired.

You are then required to pay the out-of-warranty fee option if you wish to have Apple service or replace the device.

I should make that into a text shortcut so I don't have to type it all the time. Because it doesn't matter what the defect is. All that matters is whether or not you report it to Apple wishing your one-year warranty time frame. If you don't then it's out-of-warranty and the service fee applies.

The only time this is not true is if Apple has specifically addressed a specific issue (such as the iPhone 5 battery or Sleep/Wake Button) and granted an extension.

Question: If you wanted more than one year of free service & support from Apple, then why did you agree to the one-year warranty time frame when you bought the device?

Feb 10, 2016 10:35 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

But that's exactly what you've gotten wrong! I was completely unaware that my phone had any defect of any sort until I tried to upgrade my phone to the latest iOS 9.2.1 release less than a month ago. I have issued many prior upgrades before without any facing any issue. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the phone and it was working like a charm until the "Error 53" popped up on the latest upgrade.

Also, I know I will have to pay a service fee since it is out of warranty. My point is the service centers refuse to REPAIR my phone for a fee and insist that I REPLACE it for a even greater fee. I do not mind paying the repair fee. If they agree to do so

"Error 53" on iPhone 6+ without any prior unauthorized repairs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.