Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice calls fading in and out?

I Phone 6s plus 128Gb with IOS9.2.1 (13D15)

When on voice calls, people complain that my voice fades in and out to the extent that they cannot hear me at all.

When I use Bluetooth or a headset this does not happen therefor it is not a network or service provider problem.

It improves slightly when using speakerphone

The microphone works perfect with Voice memo so it is not the microphone malfunctioning.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 12:54 PM

Hello there.

It sounds like you've done some good troubleshooting so far in regards to the issue of not being heard during phone conversations. In the interest of making sure we look over all troubleshooting steps, the following article provides some additional steps you may want to review before contacting Apple directly:

Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Get help

If you still have issues after testing the microphone on your device, try these steps:

1. Unplug any accessory plugged into the headset jack.
  2. Avoid blocking the microphone and iSight mic with your fingers while holding the device or recording video.
  3. Remove screen protectors, films, or cases that cover the microphone, iSight mic, or iPhone receiver.
  4. Clear any debris from the microphones or iPhone receiver. Refer to the user guide for your device on microphone locations.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Make sure you have the latest version of iOS.

If you've tried these steps and people still can't hear you on phone or FaceTime calls or Siri doesn’t hear your requests, contact Apple Support.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2016 12:54 PM in response to zedclocred103

Hello there.

It sounds like you've done some good troubleshooting so far in regards to the issue of not being heard during phone conversations. In the interest of making sure we look over all troubleshooting steps, the following article provides some additional steps you may want to review before contacting Apple directly:

Get help with the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Get help

If you still have issues after testing the microphone on your device, try these steps:

1. Unplug any accessory plugged into the headset jack.
  2. Avoid blocking the microphone and iSight mic with your fingers while holding the device or recording video.
  3. Remove screen protectors, films, or cases that cover the microphone, iSight mic, or iPhone receiver.
  4. Clear any debris from the microphones or iPhone receiver. Refer to the user guide for your device on microphone locations.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Make sure you have the latest version of iOS.

If you've tried these steps and people still can't hear you on phone or FaceTime calls or Siri doesn’t hear your requests, contact Apple Support.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

Dec 26, 2017 10:43 AM in response to nandoflipse

Resolved!!

My wife and I have the same iPhone with the same issue. In frustration, I cut the lower section of my phone cover off exposing microphones. I waited a week, speaking frequently with her. My problem went away but her's continued. I removed the lower section of her cover and we're both happy now.

There are 2 holes in the phone cover for the microphones but perhaps this exposure is not enough for the dual microphones. I dunno...

Feb 11, 2016 1:10 PM in response to pedro d

I am afraid that all the steps you mentioned goes without saying. No I am not hollding my fingers in front of the microphone. If you read my post you would see there is no debris in the mic because voice memo works perfectly.

I have removed the plastic duh?

Ok so now I need to call Apple support

THis is what happned

I call the free number I choose Iphone support I get told by an automated message call your service provider and I get disconnected

Please see my username and understand my frustration The problem is Apple software and no ome else

Voice calls fading in and out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.