Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Mail Take up Space on My Computer?

Using iMac 10.6.8

Mail Version 4.6 (1085)

Have more than 20,000 e-mails in my inbox ... 4,000 in sent.

Spanning a period of more than 10 years.

Do these take up space on my computer? TimeCapsule?

If so, doesn't seem to be a problem. 1.59 TB available of 2 TB capacity.

Still, seems all those e-mails should be cleaned up, meaning deleted.

Network provider hasn't notified me that I'm approaching its storage capacity, which I believe it would.

P.S. By the way, that TB used just doesn't seem right under HD Get Info. Only 410.63 GB used. I've got quite a bit of music work (GarageBand) and iTunes, photos, etc. Plus applications. Maybe it's right and that's all I'm using on my HD.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 21.5" screen, 3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, 2TB Serial ATA

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 12:14 PM

Yes, it uses space.

How much depends on many factors, but you can find out by navigating to the Library folder in your home directory (hold the Option key as you click on the 'Go' menu in the Finder) and checking the Mail folder.

All mail is stored here. If you use multiple email accounts then there will be subdirectories inside your Mail directory for each account.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 12:14 PM in response to nemateoz

Yes, it uses space.

How much depends on many factors, but you can find out by navigating to the Library folder in your home directory (hold the Option key as you click on the 'Go' menu in the Finder) and checking the Mail folder.

All mail is stored here. If you use multiple email accounts then there will be subdirectories inside your Mail directory for each account.

Does Mail Take up Space on My Computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.