Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to extend Apple Network using Cat5 and Wireless, but with access to same network

Appreciate any help here.

I need to extend the coverage of my network to part off my house where the current signal does not extend to.

I have a Time capsule in the office connected to my Modem, and then have created a wireless network (XXXX) that connects to an Extreme in my Front Room ...although when I am in my front room the signal does not increase when I go close to the Extreme...and it may be that I am still picking up the XXX wireless network from my Time Capsule.

I am just running Cat5 cable around the house, and was wondering if I can connect the TC to the extreme via CAT5, and if so would the Extreme then be able to broadcast my XXXX wireless network??

If I then want to connect to another Airport (express / extreme or even TC) in the part of my house which currently gets no signal.....can I then do this via Cat5 from the EXTREME to the 3rd device....or does it have to come direct from the TC? (and again...will the 3rd device also be able to Broadcast the XXXX network?

I ideally want to have the bst and tastes possible network around the house, and I believe that Ethernet connections between the devices would achieve this...however I also need the i-devices, streaming boxes etc around my house to then access the same XXXX wifi network which I have printers, VPN, etc all set up on.

Oh...and 1 other point, I have a cisco 8port 10/100POE managed switch...which I would also like to include within the network to connect to servers, and IP devices etc.....is this possible...and does this have to be connected directly to the Time Capsule...and could I even use this to sit between the TC and the 3rd Apple Airport device...as above????

Hope this makes sense...but please let me know if need any further details.

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 6:32 AM

I am just running Cat5 cable around the house, and was wondering if I can connect the TC to the extreme via CAT5

Yes. Don't mean to be picky here, but hopefully you will be using CAT5e cabling, since CAT5 is quite a bit out of date.

and if so would the Extreme then be able to broadcast my XXXX wireless network??

Yes

If I then want to connect to another Airport (express / extreme or even TC) in the part of my house which currently gets no signal.....can I then do this via Cat5 from the EXTREME to the 3rd device

Yes, although it would be better wiring practice to connect the 3rd device back to the main TC, if that is an option.

or does it have to come direct from the TC?

No, but it would be better practice if it could, if that is an option.

and again...will the 3rd device also be able to Broadcast the XXXX network?

Yes

and I believe that Ethernet connections between the devices would achieve this

That's correct. Ethernet is always the best choice in terms of performance.

however I also need the i-devices, streaming boxes etc around my house to then access the same XXXX wifi network which I have printers, VPN, etc all set up on.

That should work well. However, you might not be aware that iOS devices and most PCs will not automatically "switch" between the different wireless access points as they move from one location to another. For example, say you have your iPhone close to the Time Capsule, so it will pick up a strong signal from the Time Capsule. If you move the iPhone close to the AirPort Extreme or other 3rd device......the iPhone will usually stay connected to the Time Capsule wireless.....even though a stronger signal might be available from another wireless access point. Nature of the beast with IOS devices.

So, with iOS devices and most PCs, you will need to get in the habit of temporarily turning off the WiFi on the iOS device when you move it from one location to another, then turn the WiFi back on once the device is close to the other wireless access point. The iOS device will then usually pick up the stronger signal from the closer access point.

Mac laptops will usually do a nice job of automatically "switching" to pick up the best signal from different access points as you walk the laptop around the house.

I have a cisco 8port 10/100POE managed switch...which I would also like to include within the network to connect to servers, and IP devices etc.....is this possible.

Yes, but the Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme have 10/100/1000 or Gigabit Ethernet ports, so the switch is really going to limit the maximum speed on the network to 100 Mbps when devices are capable of much higher speeds. If you plan to invest in installing Ethernet cabling around the house, then you will want to also invent in a new 10/100/1000 Gigatibit Ethernet switch, since it will allow up to 10 times faster network connections compared to a 10/100 switch.

can I then do this via Cat5 from the EXTREME to the 3rd device....or does it have to come direct from the TC?

Yes, but it would be better practice to connect the switch to the Time Capsule if that is an option.

and could I even use this to sit between the TC and the 3rd Apple Airport device...as above????

Yes

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2016 6:32 AM in response to psullivan69

I am just running Cat5 cable around the house, and was wondering if I can connect the TC to the extreme via CAT5

Yes. Don't mean to be picky here, but hopefully you will be using CAT5e cabling, since CAT5 is quite a bit out of date.

and if so would the Extreme then be able to broadcast my XXXX wireless network??

Yes

If I then want to connect to another Airport (express / extreme or even TC) in the part of my house which currently gets no signal.....can I then do this via Cat5 from the EXTREME to the 3rd device

Yes, although it would be better wiring practice to connect the 3rd device back to the main TC, if that is an option.

or does it have to come direct from the TC?

No, but it would be better practice if it could, if that is an option.

and again...will the 3rd device also be able to Broadcast the XXXX network?

Yes

and I believe that Ethernet connections between the devices would achieve this

That's correct. Ethernet is always the best choice in terms of performance.

however I also need the i-devices, streaming boxes etc around my house to then access the same XXXX wifi network which I have printers, VPN, etc all set up on.

That should work well. However, you might not be aware that iOS devices and most PCs will not automatically "switch" between the different wireless access points as they move from one location to another. For example, say you have your iPhone close to the Time Capsule, so it will pick up a strong signal from the Time Capsule. If you move the iPhone close to the AirPort Extreme or other 3rd device......the iPhone will usually stay connected to the Time Capsule wireless.....even though a stronger signal might be available from another wireless access point. Nature of the beast with IOS devices.

So, with iOS devices and most PCs, you will need to get in the habit of temporarily turning off the WiFi on the iOS device when you move it from one location to another, then turn the WiFi back on once the device is close to the other wireless access point. The iOS device will then usually pick up the stronger signal from the closer access point.

Mac laptops will usually do a nice job of automatically "switching" to pick up the best signal from different access points as you walk the laptop around the house.

I have a cisco 8port 10/100POE managed switch...which I would also like to include within the network to connect to servers, and IP devices etc.....is this possible.

Yes, but the Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme have 10/100/1000 or Gigabit Ethernet ports, so the switch is really going to limit the maximum speed on the network to 100 Mbps when devices are capable of much higher speeds. If you plan to invest in installing Ethernet cabling around the house, then you will want to also invent in a new 10/100/1000 Gigatibit Ethernet switch, since it will allow up to 10 times faster network connections compared to a 10/100 switch.

can I then do this via Cat5 from the EXTREME to the 3rd device....or does it have to come direct from the TC?

Yes, but it would be better practice to connect the switch to the Time Capsule if that is an option.

and could I even use this to sit between the TC and the 3rd Apple Airport device...as above????

Yes

Feb 11, 2016 6:32 AM in response to Bob Timmons

HI BOB,

THANK YOU ever so much for taking the time to respond and for your feedback.

Yes - it is cat5e.....have 300m of the stuff to use!!

Is there any specific settings that I need to change in the respective devices..i.e. bridge mode, or extended network etc??...I have tried uncle google but not getting many clear descriptions.

I should get my refurbed Time capsule delivered tomorrow..and will use this as the Router, and then cat5e to the old gen TC, and the Airport Extreme... I am also not sure if I need to reset the old TC (hard reset)...as i don't want to lose any of the data that is on the Hard drive...but guess I will need to change the settings. I may then add a further Express if needed, but hoping with the new TC I should get greater coverage, and then will also be able to broadcast wireless networks from both TC's and the Extreme without any dead spots.

I also need to do port forwarding...which I assume needs to be done on the main Router (i.e. the new TC), and i will need to remove such settings from the old TC (Hence the possible need for reset).

Many thanks again.

cheers

Best way to extend Apple Network using Cat5 and Wireless, but with access to same network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.