Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Superdrive is not connecting through USB

My superdrive is not showing at all in Finder. I know there is a disk inside the superdrive because I hear it when first connected to the USB, but then nothing. I have already gone into the Finder Preferences and checked the CDs, DVDs and iPods line under Devices. There are two USB ports and it does not work in either one. This has happened before. Also, I have experience a couple of times when the USB ports would not read a flash drive. This is all sporadic.

I am on a MacBook Pro 13" Retina, 2.9 GHz, 8GB of memory, that is less than 6 month old. My software is updated 10.11.13. Please help.

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 9:28 AM

1 reply

Feb 11, 2016 2:05 PM in response to happy urbanite

Hello happy urbanite,
I understand that you are attempting to get a disk out of your USB SuperDrive. Let's see if we can get this sorted out.
One of thing to try is to reset the SMC on your Mac and then start up to see if the SuperDrive shows up so you can eject the disk. Take a look at the information outlined below for the specific details.
Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201788

Doesn't eject discs or discs eject slowly

1. If the drive ejects discs slowly or appears to be struggling, insert and eject a single disc several times. Check the disc to see if it has a label or other material stuck to the disc that increases the thickness. Remove the label if possible.
  2. If the disc will not eject, try pressing the eject key on the keyboard. Some older keyboards may use the F12 key to eject discs.
  3. If the disc will not eject, try dragging the disc icon to the trash.
  4. If the disc will still not eject, try holding down the trackpad or mouse button after restarting the computer. The Superdrive should attempt to eject the disc.
  5. If the disc continues not to eject, reset the System Management Controller (SMC) and try steps 1-4 again.
  6. If the disc still does not eject, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or make an appointment with an Apple Retail Store for additional assistance.

Take care

Superdrive is not connecting through USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.