Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I plugged my iphone 6s to a third party charger and now it is charging slow and losing battery very fast

I plugged it to third party charger it said this is not accessible or not supporting but i kept it plugged but it was charging very slow . In the morning i olugged it to my original charger but it isn't charging as before

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 8:11 AM

12 replies

Feb 10, 2016 12:58 PM in response to Sweet from pak

There is a chip on the motherboard that can be fried when you use non apple chargers. It is called U2 chip. I am not sure if apple would warranty or not for you, but i would probably try. If they wont, you can try to get it repaired but you might have to send it out because that is a very advanced repair that your local mom and pop repair shop might not do.

Feb 10, 2016 1:43 PM in response to Sweet from pak

Sweet from pak wrote:

I plugged it to third party charger it said this is not accessible or not supporting but i kept it plugged but it was charging very slow . In the morning i olugged it to my original charger but it isn't charging as before

The first thing to do is to check your charging port. Use a strong light and a magnifier. Check for any pocket lint or other debris. Use a non-conductive tool, such as a toothpick, to clean out anything you find.

Feb 10, 2016 3:37 PM in response to Sweet from pak

Sweet from pak wrote:

Let me get this straight. You plugged your expensive iPhone into a non-Apple charger and you got a warning. You ignored the warning and left it connected. Do I understand correctly?

Feb 11, 2016 6:36 AM in response to Sweet from pak

When Apple made the switch to the lightning port, they chose to move some of the protective circuitry from the device to the cable and charging brick. Specifically, the Apple cables and other MFI certified cables contain an over voltage protection chip and the Apple bricks are designed to output a smooth voltage without any spikes. When you use cheap chargers and cables, you remove this protection which usually results in voltage spikes killing the Tristar chip in the device - commonly called U2, but it is actually U1700 in the 6/6s-series. Since this is a 6s, you will still have a valid warranty, which may or may not cover this incident. You should check with the Apple store, but make sure to back your device up first as all they will do for you (if anything) is replace the phone. If you are not able to get your phone replaced under warranty and don't want to pay the out of warranty cost of replacing the phone, this can be repaired by a 3rd party. *********

<Edited by Host>

Feb 11, 2016 5:14 AM in response to Sweet from pak

Sweet from pak wrote:

i need help plzz

Did you start by cleaning out the charging port? Even a Made for iPhone third party charge can throw up that warning if the charging port on the phone is dirty. If you find nothing in the charging port, make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store to have the phone serviced.

Mar 28, 2016 8:06 PM in response to Philly_Phan

I did the same thing. I never saw or heard a warning from apple and I lost my charger so i bought one from the gas station. It didn't happen immediately, but continued use of third party chargers will severely damage your phone. When you use third party chargers, your phone might get really really hot especially while charging, charge very very slow (like 5 hours to get a full charge), die very easily (15% and turn off) , and burn 100% of battery power in a matter of hours.

I plugged my iphone 6s to a third party charger and now it is charging slow and losing battery very fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.