Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Hard Drive iMac 7,1 to SSD

Hi Guys,

Quick and simple here. Considering I have a million Apple products, I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to the new iMac and would do it in a heartbeat. That being said, this thing WILL NOT DIE NOR EVEN SLOW DOWN!! It is the most amazing piece of technology I have ever owned!

I upgraded the iMac from its original 1GB to now hold 4GB, to run El Capitan. Take it from me, for a 2007 iMac 7,1, it works phenomenally well. We're talking 9 years old here.

I recently came to know that I can also boost performance by changing to an SSD drive. Considering it's still practically in mint condition, I don't wish to DIY this. Where do I go?? Help me keep this miracle machine going please [not that there is anything wrong with the current hard drive].

Thanks

Shah

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 9:52 AM

Probably not to an Apple Store. They support hardware that is 5 years or less.

Are you sure you want a SSD? I am presuming you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a large SSD, but can a downsize in drive work for you?

Yes, a performance boost, but if it were me I would not consider it worth it, factoring in the cost. It is a 9 year old computer and a reasonable size drive + labor will set you back a couple of hundred for saving a few seconds application start time.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 9:52 AM in response to shahjrahman

Probably not to an Apple Store. They support hardware that is 5 years or less.

Are you sure you want a SSD? I am presuming you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a large SSD, but can a downsize in drive work for you?

Yes, a performance boost, but if it were me I would not consider it worth it, factoring in the cost. It is a 9 year old computer and a reasonable size drive + labor will set you back a couple of hundred for saving a few seconds application start time.

Feb 10, 2016 9:52 AM in response to shahjrahman

Take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area, they will be happy to help you out. If you don't know of any please click Apple Authorized Service Provider Locator to begin finding one. Your computer likely has a 500GB HD, you can get a SSD that is approximately the same size for about $200 and then another $100 (guesstimate) to install it.

Feb 10, 2016 9:55 AM in response to shahjrahman

@Limnos and @rkaufmann87

Thank you both, very helpful. I think you're right about the cost benefit here, the upgrade from 1 to 4gb ram was practically inexpensive considering how well the machine has held up. I'm not bothered about what kinda HD I get installed but I guess I'll make do with the standard drive till it dies down. I don't see myself buying another iMac again though, times have moved on. I've got a 4K screen attached to my Macbook Pro, and I think that really is the present and certainly the future.

Many thanks

S

Upgrading Hard Drive iMac 7,1 to SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.