Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upload iPhotos to icloud

Do I need to upload iPhotos to iCloud before upgrading to photo, i have an iMac os x 10.9.5 and upgrading to El Capitan 10.11.3, worried mostly about my 12,000 pictures

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 10:37 AM

No, make a backup to an external drive instead.

iPhoto to Photos

6 replies

Feb 11, 2016 10:35 AM in response to mhstan

If your iPhoto Library is in your Pictures folder, Photos should automatically find the iPhoto Library and create a Photos librar from it.

If your iPhoto Library is on an external drive, drag the library onto the Photos icon in the Dock to open the library in Photos.

What is the file system of your external drive? Photos will only be able to create a converted library on that drive, if the file system is MacOS Extended (Journaled). Otherwise it will try to create a migrated library in your Pictures folder and hang, if you are running out of storage. If you external drive has a different file system, copy the iPhoto library to another drive with a compatible file system for the conversion.

Should I upload iPhotos to icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.