Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp didn't finish -- how can i continue install of windows on new partition?

Hi thanks for reading me.

I have kicked off bootcamp, it created the partition, and started windows 8.1 instal.

It asked for the drive location, so i chose my USB hard drive (read on here that was possible) - as SSD space is such a premium.

I was told that the drive format was not GUD FAT, so i aborted the installation.

I have used disk utility to reformat the external drive.

How do I get the windows partition to now run the instal process again?

I tried the OPTION on boot up, but the new partition doesn't show yet.

Any help would be really appreciated.

~ Paul

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 10:25 AM

35 replies

Feb 11, 2016 1:18 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for your help.

Yes my partition had 32GB. On my mac

As I mentioned in the article, it did start the windows install.

It was only when trying to set the windows location to a USB HDD that the format type showed the error. So I canceled the windows install.

I have now formatted the USB HDD to FAT32 using disk utility.

The problem i have is: how do I now get the windows partition to restart the windows installation?

Many thanks,

~ Paul

Feb 11, 2016 6:55 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner,

Thank you, i appreicate your honesty 🙂

I did read on a post that it was possible, and with SSD space at a premium I was hoping to offload the heavy files there.

But I take your point, and will give primary drive a go.

The question is really centred on how i can kick-start the installation of Windows now that my primary drive (Mac main SSD) has been partitioned. How can i get it to start the installation of windows again?

When I run bootcamp app again the only option is to un-partition the drive.

Feb 11, 2016 11:23 AM in response to paulbrowning

paulbrowning wrote:

The question is really centred on how i can kick-start the installation of Windows now that my primary drive (Mac main SSD) has been partitioned. How can i get it to start the installation of windows again?

When I run bootcamp app again the only option is to un-partition the drive.

This is the behavior on 2015 Macs, which build the installer internally on the disk. It uses a partition called OSXRESERVED. Based on your observations, my inference is that you have a 2015 model.

Feb 11, 2016 2:06 PM in response to Loner T

MacBook-Pro:~ Paul$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 459.4 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Microsoft Basic Data 32.1 GB disk0s4

/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD +459.0 GB disk1

Logical Volume on disk0s2

718153C9-E45C-4D8B-BA3A-0FE5DEAA1D8C

Unlocked Encrypted

MacBook-Pro:~ Paul$ diskutil cs list

CoreStorage logical volume groups (1 found)

|

+-- Logical Volume Group BA505F54-9967-4941-87E8-46117F75918B

=========================================================

Name: Macintosh HD

Size: 459362963456 B (459.4 GB)

Free Space: 10653696 B (10.7 MB)

|

+-< Physical Volume EC4CFF1A-3069-4530-A16B-394EAEBB3A68

| ----------------------------------------------------

| Index: 0

| Disk: disk0s2

| Status: Online

| Size: 459362963456 B (459.4 GB)

|

+-> Logical Volume Family 3D067CCE-3290-4E38-8FC0-B878D9E9484B

----------------------------------------------------------

Encryption Type: AES-XTS

Encryption Status: Unlocked

Conversion Status: Complete

High Level Queries: Fully Secure

| Passphrase Required

| Accepts New Users

| Has Visible Users

| Has Volume Key

|

+-> Logical Volume 718153C9-E45C-4D8B-BA3A-0FE5DEAA1D8C

---------------------------------------------------

Disk: disk1

Size (Total): 458999988224 B (459.0 GB)

Revertible: Yes (unlock and decryption required)

LV Name: Macintosh HD

Volume Name: Macintosh HD

Content Hint: Apple_HFS

MacBook-Pro:~ Paul$ sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

Feb 11, 2016 2:38 PM in response to paulbrowning

The following steps are more time-consuming, but less labour intensive. There are more esoteric Terminal gymnastics possible, but I recommend the simpler steps.

1. Backup OSX and all your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

2. Boot into Internet Recovery (Command+Opt+R) - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support .

3. Click on Utilties -> Disk Utility and Erase your internal whole disk.

4. Restore OSX and your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

This requires a separate external disk which can accommodate TM backup - Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support .

Feb 11, 2016 4:10 PM in response to paulbrowning

I installed a new SSD recently which included doing a new Windows installation using Boot Camp and during this I had no problem restarting the Windows installation process after several attempts. The first thing it will do if you have previously created a Boot Camp partition is to ask permission to remove it (i.e. un-partition the drive). It will then let you create a new Boot Camp partition and start the installation again.

If I understand you correctly you created a Boot Camp partition on your main drive but when it came to the Windows installation you decided to select an external drive instead of selecting the new Boot Camp partition. Even if you had selected the Boot Camp partition you would have still got the same message about the partition needing to be FAT formatted. At this point you are under control of the Microsoft installer and it has the capability to format the disc partition. The disc formatting function is hidden away but it is there. You should not stop the installation to go to the Apple disc utility.

If you can, I suggest you restart the Windows installation process again this time allowing it to un-partition the drive. It will then ask you to create a new partition. Given that you have formatted the external drive it shouldn’t ask you to format it again.

By the way I don’t see how using the external drive will help your disc space problem, you will still be left with an empty Boot Camp partition on your main drive.

Feb 11, 2016 11:11 PM in response to IanD1953

HI. The am you everyone.

I can restart the Windows install.

I Tried removing the partition with boot camp and that fails.

I Have tried disk utility to view the partitions and as you say click the minus symbol. It does not allow that either.

I Plan to try that again from recovery mode disk utility before nuking the hard drive.

Deleting everything is my last resort.

Bootcamp didn't finish -- how can i continue install of windows on new partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.