Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

move document to another folder

I recall a shortcut in Windows, back when, where I could do a Command-M for MOVE (as I recall) and I would be given the option to select, or type the name of the folder to which I would like my selected document sent (aka: moved to)

At the moment, for instance, I want to take documents residing at the first level in my DOCUMENTS folder, and put them into a folder. The only way I know is to drag-drop, which I often requires scrolling a long way. It is a horrendously difficult and slow process, prone to slips into folder that is on the way to my wished-for, destination folder.

This would apply, to simply consolidating folders, as well. I still only know one way, and that is drag-drop.

Thank you

Randy

Compaq, Mac OS X (10.5.4), macbook

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 9:42 AM

1 reply

Feb 10, 2016 9:51 AM in response to getrtg

Choose Utilities from the Finder’s Go menu, open the Script Editor, return to the Documents folder, and run:

tell application "Finder"

move selection to folder (item 1 of (choose from list (get name of every folder of window 1))) of window 1

end tell

The script can be saved as an application and put in the Finder’s toolbar or Dock for easy access. Alternatively, you can use:

move selection to folder (text returned of (display dialog "Which folder would you like the item moved to?" default answer "")) of window 1

if you’d rather type the folder’s name in instead of choosing from the ones already there.

(139375)

move document to another folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.