Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What memory module do I buy?

I've got a Mac Pro (early 2009), 2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon. I currently have 3GB of memory (three 1GB modules) and need to increase that. I may purchase a 4GB module (if I can't find any 2GB ones online), and my question is: will a 4GB module in my Mac, sharing space with the three 1GB modules, work okay? Thanks.

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 11:10 AM

2 replies

Feb 10, 2016 12:56 PM in response to maw7

If an 8GB module is less than twice the price of a 4GB module, it is more economical to buy the 8GB instead, and leaves slots open for future expansion.

Do not buy 16GB modules, and they are ALL "Registered" DIMMs and will not mix freely and play nice with non-registered DIMMs, Regardless, when the new DIMMs arrive, test the new ones by themselves FIRST, then add the old ones back and test again. This separates "does not work" problems from "will not play nice with others" problems.

always buy from a Vendor who says:

"It works in your Mac

or your money Back!"

I would add datamemorysystems to that list:

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/apple-mac-pro-quad-core-intel-xeon-nehalem-2-66 ghz-mb871ll/a-early-2009-memory-upgrades…

What memory module do I buy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.