Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

URGENT PLEASE! how to recovery overwritten text file? I search the keyword and found the file named "unsaved text edit file 93" which looks like it is the overwritten file

Hi,

I know this has been asked before and it is a long shot - so here is my case:

I saved text edit file (let's say name A) and mistakenly overwritten it. So the file A is completely gone.

With hope, I searched for some keywords that is in the file A - and a file name "unsaved text edit 93" appear - seeing the file size and time stamp - I am sure it is the file A I'm looking for.

The problem is when I try to open the "unsaved text edit 93" the mac says - The alias “Unsaved TextEdit Document 93” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.

but apparently, if the mac still remembers the keyword in the file - it means the mac must remember the content of the "Unsaved TextEdit Document 93" but somehow prevent me from accessing the file because it is overwritten

Is there anyway to open this file?

Please help 😟 and please let me know if any part I explained is unclear

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 12:22 PM

2 replies

Feb 14, 2016 3:15 PM in response to doremama

I saved text edit file (let's say name A) and mistakenly overwritten it. So the file A is completely gone.

With hope, I searched for some keywords that is in the file A - and a file name "unsaved text edit 93" appear

How did you search? Spotlight. Words are in an index. It's showing you the words in the index.

- seeing the file size and time stamp - I am sure it is the file A I'm looking for.

Where did you see this?

URGENT PLEASE! how to recovery overwritten text file? I search the keyword and found the file named "unsaved text edit file 93" which looks like it is the overwritten file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.