Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my toolbar disappear when I scroll up in safari - and return only when I scroll back down

It now happens on my iPad, iPhone and iPad mini. When in safari and I scroll toward the bottom of the web page, my toolbar and favorites bars disappear until I scroll upwards. A small but annoying feature that I believe appeared only on the most recent IOS upgrade.

I don't want this function - how can I turn it off?

iPad, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 11:15 AM

Yes, that is the behavior of Safari as of iOS 8 (about 1-1/2 years ago). The purpose is to maximize the viewing area of the web page. You cannot remove that functionality. But you don't have to scroll up to show those bars again, you can simply tap on the minimized bar and they all reappear.

3 replies

Feb 10, 2016 11:34 AM in response to Edward Hargreaves

Edward - thank you for the quick reply. Darn - that ***. I would rather have a little less screen space and not have to hit the screen additional times just to get my tool / favorite / navigation bar back. I go to a lot of forums and hit hundreds of items. This new "feature" means I'm almost doubling myscreen taps during my browsing.

Are you certain there's no workaround?

Why does my toolbar disappear when I scroll up in safari - and return only when I scroll back down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.