Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best video format - DV, MP4, MOV...?

Hello!

I would like your advice as to the best video format for use in iMovie 10.1.1.

In 2009, before I migrated to Apple, I digitalised some 50 Hi8 family videos. Later, when I migrated to Apple, I had to convert them to a format compatible with iMovie. Then I did not have time to go any further. Now that I am retired I would like to edit the videos but I find myself with sometimes as many as 4 versions of the same file, with widely differing sizes, and I do not know which I should choose and which I should delete. For example, these are the four versions I have of one video:

Format size

TS 1,55 Go (in Finder it says that this is MPEG-2)

DV 9,55 Go

MP4 772 Mo (in Finder it says that this is MPEG-4)

MOV 5,53 Go (in Finder is says that this is QuickTime video)

Sometimes the format is MPG.

My question, therefore, is which format should I keep? If I have to choose between quality and file size, I would choose quality.

I see that iMovie recognises the DV and MP4 formats but not TS or MPG. That simplifies my choice, I think.

To my surprise I also see that iMovie does not recognise QuickTime files, even though it is an Apple software!

I have searched an answer to my question elsewhere on the Internet but I have found conflicting reports. Hence my posting on this forum.

Thank you very much for taking time to reply!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 9:47 AM

Mp4 is a delivery format, intended for watching. DV is a less compressed format, designed for editing. So Mp4 files will occupy less space than DV files. However, you can edit both. iMovie will accept both. I'd keep both.

My thinking is that I would edit in DV and export to Mp4 for watching. If you burn to a DVD, you will get MP2, which is very highly compressed, intended for viewing, but awful for editing.

Be sure to back up your movies before doing anything.

I'm not sure that this link will work, but if it does you may find it helpful.

whats better dv or mpeg

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2016 9:47 AM in response to deomedea

Mp4 is a delivery format, intended for watching. DV is a less compressed format, designed for editing. So Mp4 files will occupy less space than DV files. However, you can edit both. iMovie will accept both. I'd keep both.

My thinking is that I would edit in DV and export to Mp4 for watching. If you burn to a DVD, you will get MP2, which is very highly compressed, intended for viewing, but awful for editing.

Be sure to back up your movies before doing anything.

I'm not sure that this link will work, but if it does you may find it helpful.

whats better dv or mpeg

Best video format - DV, MP4, MOV...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.