Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I share a project (.band file) with another iPad?

I want to send the project (all the individual tracks not the MP3) to someone to edit. It's too large for email and the .band file is not recognised by Dropbox. Is there any way to share Garageband projects? Thanks

GarageBand (iPad), iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 3:16 AM

You can share the project, if you both have a Mac and iTunes.

If you want to work together on a GarageBand project from different locations, you need both a computer with iTunes to transfer the project between the iPads.

• Share the song as a song to iTunes and download the project to a Mac.
  • Mail the project
  • Your friend can upload the project to the iPad using iTunes on a Mac and open it in GarageBand.

See this Help page: http://help.apple.com/garageband/ipad/2.0/index.html#chs39284d66

All other ways to share the song would only transfer the bounced audio file and not the project.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 3:16 AM in response to monkeyking10

You can share the project, if you both have a Mac and iTunes.

If you want to work together on a GarageBand project from different locations, you need both a computer with iTunes to transfer the project between the iPads.

• Share the song as a song to iTunes and download the project to a Mac.
  • Mail the project
  • Your friend can upload the project to the iPad using iTunes on a Mac and open it in GarageBand.

See this Help page: http://help.apple.com/garageband/ipad/2.0/index.html#chs39284d66

All other ways to share the song would only transfer the bounced audio file and not the project.

Feb 13, 2016 6:49 AM in response to monkeyking10

I only have a Mac, so I cannot test this:

For a PC have a look at turingtest2's work-around: Re: Loading a .band file back into Garageband (iPad 2)

Hi,

I've just tested this workaround again. It should work like this:

Export

1. Create a song in GarageBand on an iOS device.
  2. From the My Songs screen tap Edit, select the song to export, tap the sharing icon, Share Song Via iTunes as GarageBand format.
  3. Connect the device to iTunes, go to the Apps tab, File Sharing area, highlight the song folder and click Save As..., then chose a folder to save it in.

This folder can then be shared for others to work on.

Import

1. Connect device to iFunBox.
  2. Drag project folder into <Device>\App File Sharing\GarageBand.
  3. On the device go to the GarageBand > My Songs view, tap the + icon, then Copy From iTunes. The imported project should be there.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If GarageBand for iOS doesn't see or want to import the edited project then my guess is that something about the external editing process has flagged it as being incompatible. There are workarounds for converting GarageBand for OSX files into an iOS compatible form, but not having a Mac I haven't tested any of them.

tt2

The post is two years old however. If we are lucky, turingtest2 might see your question.

Jul 7, 2016 5:53 PM in response to monkeyking10

Our band has all mac products. We use Air Drop between iphones, ipads, and mac books to send the .band project so we can all edit or share more tracks. It's easy then anything else we found. If you have an iphone or ipad open the GarageBand app, press the select in the upper right, then tap the project you want to send, then press the box with the up arrow in upper left corner, then select AirDrop. It will then ask if you want to send the audio file or .band project. Now press .band project. That's it. Just make sure on both devices to have Air Drop on. :-D

Jul 8, 2016 6:38 AM in response to léonie

Yes you're correct. Another way we send projects far away is through our band iCloud account and log in from our macs to get garage band projects. Definitely more of a hassle but keeps it free. We don't go over the 5gigs. I log iout of my personal account on my Mac then log in to the band account drag the project to the iCloud Drive on the Mac and it's now avaliable. I've also logged in through safari on the Mac and have used the upload feature, but this seems to download it as a zip file, not what I want.

How can I share a project (.band file) with another iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.