Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WIFI issues

Hey guys..

Over the last couple of weeks if not months, my internet connection seems to be "disappearing" while it's still shown at fully connection I don't have any connection at all, happens while browsing the internet and when gaming. The internet won't work again until I turn off the wifi on my computer and back on again.. This happens like every 10-30 mins, and is VERY annoying. I've already tried a lot of things, such as:

• Renewing DHCP
  • Removing my Wifi from the network
  • Rebooting my router several times
  • Changed to Google's DNS server
  • Deleted a lot of programs who ran in the background with internet connection
  • Re-installed IOS.
  • Bought a Wifi-extender, even though I have full connection.

I got an IMac from ultimo 2013, and never had a problem before with it till now. Got a Macbook Pro(medio 2012) too, which doesn't have this issue..
Tried to use the troubleshooting program on the mac too, It says there's nothing wrong with the connection? I've got Avast and Avira running too, and have run several scans, without any warnings of infections...
Anyone got an idea what could be wrong?
ANY advises are very welcome as I'm out of options 😟...

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 2:28 PM

4 replies

Feb 10, 2016 4:26 PM in response to mathiashyun

A

"Avast" is the worst of the whole wretched lot of commercial "security" products for the Mac. Not only does it fail to protect you from any real danger, it may send personal data (such as web browsing history and the contents of email messages) back to the developer without your knowledge, give false warnings, destabilize and slow down the computer, expose you to network attack, and corrupt the network settings and the permissions of files in your home folder. Removing it may not repair all the damage.

Some versions of the product also inject advertising into web pages. In short, apart from the fine print in the license agreement, Avast is indistinguishable from malware, and is arguably worse than any known malware now in circulation.

Please back up all data, then remove Avast according to the developer's instructions. Restart. Never install any "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software again.

If you tried to remove Avast by dragging an application to the Trash, you'll have to reinstall it and then follow the instructions linked above.

B

Please remove the equally useless "Avira" by following the instructions on this page. If you have a different version of the product, the procedure may be different.

Mar 27, 2016 1:51 PM in response to antoniokratos

I was having very similar issues. Uninstalling my anti-virus software (Avira) appears to have resolved the issue.

I read in a forum elsewhere that ESET anti-virus was having similar problems, and that their support team claimed that other anti-virus providers were also having the same issues.

I'm not feeling great about running without anti-virus, but at least my wifi connection is now usable...

Mar 29, 2016 9:38 PM in response to mathiashyun

I'm having the exact same issues with my iMac.

my iMac is 21.5-inch, Mid 2011 current version 10.11.4 and I do not have any anti-virus software installed.

I've tried all the same methods listed plus several solutions found on the internet but the problems still exist.

my network environment is working fine with other devices without any problems.

today I still have to turn Wifi on/off on iMac several times a day to continue connect to the internet and it is very annoying indeed!

as I recalled the problems seemed to start since I'd updated OS to Yosemite and thought it would be better in El Capitan, but not.

Certainly, any suggestions or advises on this matter will be very appreciated.

WIFI issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.