Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini wifi REALLY slow???

I'm at my wits end here and praying someone has an answer.

I bought a Mac Mini last month (with maximum possible RAM, processor, hard drive, etc.) to replace my old iMac and the internet connection is abysmal. Sometimes it just completely drops out and cannot load a webpage at all, and when it does manage to stay connected it is horrendously slow. Speedtest says my download speed is less than 5mbps. Other devices in the house are all 40+mbps! Some even over 100!

We have just changed to Virgin Media today, and the problem has continued as it was on my previous BT Broadband. As I said, all other devices are working perfectly, including the Windows laptop I'm using to submit this which is sat right next to the Mini. It is definitely not a problem with the network, as the problem is only on the one device and has happened on two different networks.

I have tried every **** suggestion I could find on the internet. I've reset again and again, cleared the cache, adjusted the DNS settings, set up the network manually, deleted the old preference files under SystemConfiguration, adjusted the Bluetooth settings, and nothing has helped.

Whenever I try and load a webpage, it says "resolving hosts" in the bottom corner. Another notable thing is that airport always seems to be "looking for networks" though it is already connected to the network I want.

Is there some way I can possibly fix this? Would purchasing an Airport Extreme help? I'm nowhere near my router so can't use ethernet, but I'm willing to use a cable to any kind of extender/other router that could get this **** thing to work. Or is my Mini really just faulty and should I just go book an appointment at the Genius bar???

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 12:44 PM

7 replies

Feb 10, 2016 2:45 PM in response to annaxjo

You have a transmit rate of 17 that is very very slow. I have 351.

Yo are on the 2.4 GHz band which can be slow.

Is the Min out I the open, that not much that can block an wifi signal.

As a test try moving the Mini close to the router.

Yes, a new router that supports the 5 GHz ACshould help. The Min support the 5 GHz AC band which is faster. That is what I connect to.

Feb 10, 2016 3:00 PM in response to lllaass

The Mini is sat on my desk, not covered by anything, just in between (not massively boxed in or anything) my monitor and one of the speakers. I am in an upstairs room while the router is downstairs, but I have a Windows laptop that is receiving the signal fine from this distance.

Would you recommend the Airport Extreme? I'm willing to splash out on it if it would fix my problem. Like I said, we had this internet connection installed today so our router is literally brand new, but the problem is exactly the same as it was on my old network. Forgive the dumb question, but how do I connect to the 5GHz band? I know my router supports it, but as you can see I'm only receiving the 2.4GHz. Is this because I'm too far from the router?

Feb 10, 2016 3:33 PM in response to lllaass

I had it set up with the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz separately on my old network. Strangely, I used to have a problem with the signal completely dropping out all the time on my old iMac and this fixed it, but it didn't help on the Mini.

I think there is a problem with this room and the signal. Devices pick it up but the actual provided internet is spotty or really slow. My PS4 can also connect to the network but almost immediately loses the signal and the connection can't really be used. The problem doesn't seem to be that the signal doesn't reach, but that it's not strong enough to actually transfer any data.

Mac mini wifi REALLY slow???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.