Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Third misaligned front camera on an iPhone 6. Anyone else have this issue?

I first noticed the misaligned front camera in December (looks like a half moon sliding in front of the camera). Apple store offered to replace the screen but instead gave me a refurbished phone. 3 weeks later, same problem with the new phone and this time it got a new screen. Now almost a month after that, the camera is sliding under the glass again. I've ruined 2 tempered glass screen protectors because of replacements and now have been told by Apple that I need to lose yet another protector to get yet another screen replacement. Has anyone else experienced this camera issue? Has anyone had it happen with a 6S?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 2:32 PM

This is extremely common. I am an independent repair tech and see dozens of iPhone 6 and 6+ every day. Almost all of them are in this condition. It is purely cosmetic, it will not impact the functionality of the camera. It is unfortunate that you have not been able to get the issue permanently resolved through Apple. There is absolutely no reason to replace the entire screen to resolve this problem - and lose your tempered glass in the process. It is a simple matter to open the phone, remove the screws that secure the front camera flex to the LCD assembly, and reseat the camera so that it is centered.

Obviously if you do this yourself or have an independent repair tech do it for you, it will void your warranty with Apple. Realistically, there isn'y any way that they could tell this was done, but if you still have your 1 year warranty or if you have Apple Care Plus, then to be 100% sure you can retain that warranty you will need to keep going through Apple's official repair channels, as frustrating as that may be. If you are no longer under warranty, then any 3rd party repair shop should be able to reposition the front facing camera for you in a matter of minutes and without replacing the entire LCD assembly.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 2:32 PM in response to andrewt

This is extremely common. I am an independent repair tech and see dozens of iPhone 6 and 6+ every day. Almost all of them are in this condition. It is purely cosmetic, it will not impact the functionality of the camera. It is unfortunate that you have not been able to get the issue permanently resolved through Apple. There is absolutely no reason to replace the entire screen to resolve this problem - and lose your tempered glass in the process. It is a simple matter to open the phone, remove the screws that secure the front camera flex to the LCD assembly, and reseat the camera so that it is centered.

Obviously if you do this yourself or have an independent repair tech do it for you, it will void your warranty with Apple. Realistically, there isn'y any way that they could tell this was done, but if you still have your 1 year warranty or if you have Apple Care Plus, then to be 100% sure you can retain that warranty you will need to keep going through Apple's official repair channels, as frustrating as that may be. If you are no longer under warranty, then any 3rd party repair shop should be able to reposition the front facing camera for you in a matter of minutes and without replacing the entire LCD assembly.

Third misaligned front camera on an iPhone 6. Anyone else have this issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.