Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flextime is splitting not adjusting/stretching audio

Hello,

I am having a little issue with Flextime on the latest Garageband (10 - latest update as of Feb 2016) whereby peculiarly Flextime isn't function as it should on a few guitar tracks. Essentially, instead of stretching the notes it is simply dragging the wave between the closest two markers, to the new location causing a split. The split occurs at the point of the opposite direction to that which you drag i.e. if you attempt to stretch an waveform to the left, the split occurs to the right. Bizarrely, using this as an example, the left hand side, to which the dragged item is being pulled towards, does compress and adjust.

I cannot for the life of me work out why: on one track I have two guitar tracks recorded exactly the same and it is only splitting one, whereas the other can be moved freely. I have since tried a few new tracks and now neither will allow 'flextime' in the conventional way; the audio simply splits.

Has anyone encountered this problem before or have I simply turned on a 'setting' without realising? I see someone had a similar problem but resolved it by deleting unused takes: although I am not sure what exactly this means. In my case, I only have one take/waveform that I can see.

I am recording through a Focusrite Scarlet 2I2, and am using the amp models included in Garageband: Surfin' In Stereo being the most common

Thanks

James

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 12:45 PM

1 reply

Jul 22, 2016 5:31 AM in response to jamesbeedie1

I'd love some help on this too; I record bass tracks for a friend's songs (Garageband is fine for getting a high quality aif file for her). I used to be able to use flex to adjust any slight timing errors - I could move the beginning of the note and it would stretch or compress the tail of the note, and it worked fine.

Now with the latest GB version, I can find no way to stop it splitting the notes instead of stretching them. When I grab the marker for the start of the note I need to shift, it pulls the whole note away from the one before or after (depending which way I need to move it) creating a gap that causes an audible 'click' in the track. What's more, it seems intermittent, with some tracks working properly and others not, even if the tracks were recording in identical ways.

I've seen discussions on different flex settings but these relate to Logic Pro, and don't exist in Garageband.

Carl.

Flextime is splitting not adjusting/stretching audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.