Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes can't open key to install

iTunes stopped working for me so I had to uninstall (which was a production that took days, reading lots of support pages, cleaning files and registry, and was finally, finally achieved.) Now iTunes refuses to reinstall. I've tried several times, re-uninstalling between each attempt just in case anything from the old corrupted version remained. I've finally gotten it down to just the one error message, but no matter what I do I keep getting it. I've redownloaded the new iTunes file several times, downloaded version 11 just in case something was incompatible with the new version, but nothing. I'm the only user on my computer but I'm making sure to 'run as administrator' each time anyhow. Still I keep consistently getting this error message. Any ideas?

User uploaded file

Windows 7

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 7:16 PM

For "Could not open key/write value" errors when reinstalling try b noir's user tip:

"Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\[LongStringOfLettersAndNumbers]\
[LongStringOfLettersAndNumbers]" error messages when installing iTunes for Windows

The technique can be applied to the branch of the registry mentioned in the error message.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 7:16 PM in response to shagschain

For "Could not open key/write value" errors when reinstalling try b noir's user tip:

"Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\[LongStringOfLettersAndNumbers]\
[LongStringOfLettersAndNumbers]" error messages when installing iTunes for Windows

The technique can be applied to the branch of the registry mentioned in the error message.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

May 12, 2016 5:47 PM in response to turingtest2

Good evening!

I'm having exactly the same problem described in the first post (diferent key number) and tried everything in your tutorial. I still get the same "Could not open key:...." error and if I ignore it and keep on with the installation, then Itunes doesn't open as it gives me and error: Apple Application Support Error 2.

I tried using winrar to extract the installer files and it still doesn't work and keeps on with the same Error 2.

Please... I really need help!!! I really need itunes installed so that I can sync my iPhone!...

Help!

Jul 27, 2016 8:48 PM in response to turingtest2

I am running Win 10 and am getting the same errors except that I get 3. I have tried b noir's instructions and Full control is allowed but I did not have the option to "Replace owner." I have tried to fix this multiple times over the last few months and no success. I don't have iTunes installed at all but even when i try to uninstall Bonjour or Quicktime it gives me the same errors. I am getting really frustrated.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

itunes can't open key to install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.