Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to cancel an unpaid purchase

I'm using a pre-paid gift card, and I accidentally tried to buy more than I had balance on my card. I want to cancel the excess purchases (it says two are outstanding) so I can delete the payment method, but I can't find any way to cancel those purchases. I am not willing to enter a different payment method to get those purchases, I just want to cancel them outright.

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 3:44 AM

Yes, I have contacted them. So far, they are giving me the same answer. I am not at all pleased with the service I'm getting, and wish I'd never decided to buy the small number of apps I wanted to buy.

14 replies

Feb 13, 2016 3:59 AM in response to King_Penguin

No, they didn't say why.

And I did not intend to buy these two apps. If I were in a store, this would have been over in seconds - just put the stuff back on the shelf and buy what I actually have money for. But instead, because I got my math wrong, I'll be locked out of even free downloads forevermore. I haven't even gotten any benefit from these purchases, because it didn't actually download them. Why shouldn't I be able to do what I'd do in a physical store and say 'oh, on second thought, I won't buy that after all?'

My only way of buying stuff on my iPhone is using pre-paid cards, because I have a disability and swore never to get a credit card because I would not be able to avoid falling in debt with one. And if I buy another pre-paid card to fix this issue, I'll either have to waste the rest of the money on that card or risk having the exact same problem happen again. Plus I've had my phone unexpectedly try to buy things when I accidentally touch the wrong part of an app (such as the ad bar). So far I've caught this and stopped it, but I sometimes download multiple free apps at once and have a large backlog of 'insert your password' requests, and if I had a working payment method on my phone this would result in me buying other stuff I don't want.

Feb 13, 2016 4:08 AM in response to Ettina

You haven't downloaded the apps at all (or started to download them), not on your phone or computer's iTunes ? If not then when did you buy them ? Here in the UK the iTunes store items say that you have 14 days from purchase, if you haven't started to download an item, to request a refund

If iTunes gift cards are available in your country then you won't (or shouldn't) be able to spend more than you have available as the price is deducted immediately - with credit cards (including pre-paid cards, if they work) the charge can take a day or two to go through.

Feb 13, 2016 4:32 AM in response to King_Penguin

It didn't let me download them. It started the download and then said it was denied. Now I can't get rid of the bills.

I was using a pre-paid visa card, but the charges were going through immediately.

How can you even buy something and not have it start the download? Every time I bought an app the download started automatically. But in the case of these two, it then popped up and error message and tried to get me to enter a new payment method, which I can't do.

Feb 13, 2016 4:43 AM in response to Ettina

Whether it will start the download cane depend upon whether you are connected to cellular or wifi - there is a download size limit on cellular.

With iTunes gift cards, without having another payment method on your account, you will get an error message if you try to buy something that your balance doesn't cover. That doesn't necessarily happen with credit/debit cards, there is a delay between clicking buy and iTunes collecting, or not collecting, the money.

If iTunes won't refund/cancel the purchase you will have to pay what you owe before you can use the account again

Feb 22, 2016 9:23 AM in response to King_Penguin

What about what I did not choose to buy?

I did some research, by the way, and Android phones offer a full refund, no questions asked, if it's less than 2 hours since you purchased an app and you've never refunded that app before. Which would have easily solved my issue.

Make what excuses you like, but I was not trying to get anything for free. I was simply trying to do what every physical store allows you to do with no issue - put something back on the shelf because you can't afford to get it.

The physical store equivalent of what Apple is doing would be if someone brought stuff to the front desk, didn't have enough money, and the store proceeded to hold the excess items and refuse to let that person back in the store until they bought those items. Which is just utterly ridiculous.

I think you should take a good hard look at the company you're making excuses for. Just because it's an electronic purchase instead of physical one doesn't mean a company should get away with screwing people over.

I need to cancel an unpaid purchase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.