Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it no longer possible to install free apps without a password or Touch ID? In settings under restrictions>password settings the free downloads options is in grey.

I got a new iPad Mini 4 and the downloaded everything from my old iPad Mini 2 from iCloud, including settings. However, when I try to install free apps from the App Store, I'm prompted to verify my password. I checked my restriction settings and toggled off the install apps but in password settings (within restrictions setting), the toggle switch for requiring a password free downloads is toggled on and greyed out so I cannot switch it off. In addition, with the install app switch within restrictions toggled off, the App Store icon completely disappeared from my home screen. When I turned the restriction for installing apps back on, the App Store icon reappeare. My guess is that Apple is no longer giving us the option of bypassing password verification for installing even free apps but I thought I'd ask if anyone had a solution.

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 3:28 PM

3 replies

Feb 11, 2016 2:58 AM in response to smusherface

I figured it out but Passwords Settings is located under Restrictions. Settings>General>Restrictions>Password Settings>Require Password. It was greyed out because right above it I had neither "Always Require" or "Require After 15 Minutes" checked. Once I checked my choice, the Require Password option became available again. I appreciate you trying to help though. Thanks.

Is it no longer possible to install free apps without a password or Touch ID? In settings under restrictions>password settings the free downloads options is in grey.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.