Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use the AirPort Express to AirPlay only? (Wirelessly)

Hi there,

I have a Speaker and I would like to give AirPlay ability to it. I have an old airport express here in my house and I wanted to connect my airport express to my wireless network and enable the airplay.

The only thing that I would want to remove is the option to extend the wireless network, because I am pretty sure that it will do more harm then good, since I have a great Wireless AC Router very close to the speaker. (http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC5300)

Is it possible to use the airport express only to airplay? Without having it trying to extend my network?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Tiago

Apple AirPort Express (MC414LL/A)-OTHER

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 7:00 PM

Yes, if you have the main router near the speakers.. then just plug the Express into the speaker by ethernet.. run it in bridge mode and turn off wireless.. Then check if you can find it in iTunes etc to send airplay stream.

Or you can set it to join a wireless network.. it will not extend.. Apple call it client mode.

AirPort Express: How to join an existing Wi-Fi network in client mode - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 7:00 PM in response to tiagopmello

Yes, if you have the main router near the speakers.. then just plug the Express into the speaker by ethernet.. run it in bridge mode and turn off wireless.. Then check if you can find it in iTunes etc to send airplay stream.

Or you can set it to join a wireless network.. it will not extend.. Apple call it client mode.

AirPort Express: How to join an existing Wi-Fi network in client mode - Apple Support

Is it possible to use the AirPort Express to AirPlay only? (Wirelessly)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.