Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update stuck on waiting

Im trying to set up Software Update in OS X Server 10.11.3. Went through al the steps but it is stuck on waiting. I have confirmed that the port is listed 8088 in the swupd.conf file.

The error log says:

[Wed Feb 10 14:06:21.737887 2016] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 257] AH00163: Apache/2.4.16 (Unix) configured -- resuming normal operations

[Wed Feb 10 14:06:21.796175 2016] [core:notice] [pid 257] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/sbin/httpd -D FOREGROUND -f /Library/Server/Software Update/Config/swupd.conf'

Im not sure what this means? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 2:38 PM

6 replies

Feb 10, 2016 2:43 PM in response to ufvtech

That doesn't look like an error. Looks like Apache and Software Update are now active.

Server does take a while to load patches from Apple.

In general, Server is sensitive to the DNS configuration. This can sometimes cause problems with other applications and services.

Launch Terminal.app and issue the following (harmless, diagnostic) command, and see if you get success, or an indication of an error with the local network or with DNS:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

Feb 17, 2016 1:06 AM in response to MrHoffman

I thought my software update service was goosed but all I did in the end was make sure I had ample disk space, turned on the SU server in Server, ran this command to force sync

sudo swupd_syncd -sync

and then waited AGES! I mean it took hours to download and index the catalogue.

Then my clients could access the software update just fine. If I didn't wait for the server to finish doing its thing, I got error messages from the client when trying to connect.

Software Update stuck on waiting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.