Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie zoom/ cropping pictures for iPhone 6

I've made a movie and it's zoomed in and cropping out large portions of my pictures. I've tried clicking the photo and 'pinching' it to zoom out but it only zooms out a tiny bit.

Anyone know how to fix it?

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 3:13 PM

Were the photos captured in portrait orientation (vertically)? If so, iMovie can't display the entire image at once and will only allow you to zoom out to fit the width of the screen. As a workaround you can use a panning effect (ken burns) to move the viewable area over time.

1. Tap on the photo in the timeline.
  2. In the viewer, ensure Ken Burns is enabled
  3. Tap the first position button and adjust the image to how you want it on the first frame
  4. Tap the end position button and adjust the image to how you want it on the last frame

iMovie will animate between the two allowing you to see the entire image over time if desired. (Adjusting the length of the clip in the timeline will adjust the duration and speed of the animation.)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2016 3:13 PM in response to Whitosu117

Were the photos captured in portrait orientation (vertically)? If so, iMovie can't display the entire image at once and will only allow you to zoom out to fit the width of the screen. As a workaround you can use a panning effect (ken burns) to move the viewable area over time.

1. Tap on the photo in the timeline.
  2. In the viewer, ensure Ken Burns is enabled
  3. Tap the first position button and adjust the image to how you want it on the first frame
  4. Tap the end position button and adjust the image to how you want it on the last frame

iMovie will animate between the two allowing you to see the entire image over time if desired. (Adjusting the length of the clip in the timeline will adjust the duration and speed of the animation.)

iMovie zoom/ cropping pictures for iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.