Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i just bought the new macbook. The battery life does not last as advertised. Is this really how it is?

I just bought the new Macbook. And I am disappointed that the battery life does not last as it advertised. I was just browsing and not even watching any you tube videos. What could be wrong with it? Should I return and have it exchanged?

MacBook, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 3:25 PM

3 replies

Feb 10, 2016 4:32 PM in response to Carrie2863

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Feb 10, 2016 4:37 PM in response to Carrie2863

Your post doesn't give any indication of what you are experiencing other than that it isn't as long as advertised. That could mean a small amount less than advertised or a large amount. You may want to reply with more information about what you are experiencing and how it compares to the specs below.

From http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/

Up to 9 hours wireless web3

Up to 10 hours iTunes movie playback3

Up to 30 days of standby time3

Built-in 39.7-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery

29W USB-C Power Adapter; USB-C power port

From the footnotes of the same link:

Testing conducted by Apple in February 2015 using preproduction 1.2GHz Intel Core M-based 12-inch MacBook systems (wireless web test and HD movie playback test) as well as preproduction 1.2GHz Intel Core M-based 12-inch MacBook systems and preproduction 1.3GHz Intel Core M-based 12-inch MacBook systems (standby test), all configured with 512GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The HD movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 1080p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The standby test measures battery life by allowing a system, connected to a wireless network and signed in to an iCloud account, to enter standby mode with Safari and Mail applications launched and all system settings left at default. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.

Feb 11, 2016 5:57 AM in response to Carrie2863

I actually find my MacBook to have a reasonably good battery life, I get about 7 - 8 hours real world use. Of course there is no such thing as guaranteed length of usage, too many variables for that, but one thing I did find useful at first was the energy monitor which will tell you what is consuming power excessively. I had a 13" Mid 2010 MacBook previously which advertised a 10 hour life. 10 hours was a blatant lie, 5 hours on a good day was the best I could hope for.

Also remove flash and install Chrome for sites that still require flash. Anything not necessary - strip!

i just bought the new macbook. The battery life does not last as advertised. Is this really how it is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.