Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up two 2nd Gen 802.11n Airport Extremes and getting slow internet connection...

Hi everyone!

Longtime reader, first time poster. So here goes! I have two AirPort Extreme 802.11n (2nd Generation) base stations. I'm currently receiving internet off my Comcast Xfinity Arris modem and I have the Extreme 250 (up to 250mbps) internet service. I currently have the modem as the DHCP/NAT router and there is an ethernet out from the modem into a switch which then distributes to a few devices including my first Apple Airport Extreme base station, upstairs. From there, I have an ethernet I've run downstairs to my 2nd Airport Extreme base station which is setup to extend the Wifi Network downstairs over ethernet. Now, when I sign onto the Airport Extreme network and run a speed test, I never download over 30mbps (I've clocked up to 290mbps when hooked up to the Xfinity modem's wifi network) and the upload clocks in at about 30mbps (the same as with the Xfinity modem. I'm trying to get my Airport Extreme network up to snuff but I'm not sure what I"m doing wrong. Any ideas?

Airport Extreme 802.11n 2nd gen-OTHER

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 4:01 PM

1 reply

Feb 10, 2016 5:37 PM in response to EddyTheEditor

I have two AirPort Extreme 802.11n (2nd Generation) base stations. I'm currently receiving internet off my Comcast Xfinity Arris modem and I have the Extreme 250 (up to 250mbps) internet service.

These 2nd generation AirPort Extreme base stations will be the potential bottleneck for the bandwidth that your ISP is providing you. With the Extreme in bridge mode, at best, you will get around 125 Mbps throughput across the device's WAN-LAN interface. Much less when you have it enabled as a router.

I currently have the modem as the DHCP/NAT router and there is an ethernet out from the modem into a switch which then distributes to a few devices including my first Apple Airport Extreme base station, upstairs. From there, I have an ethernet I've run downstairs to my 2nd Airport Extreme base station which is setup to extend the Wifi Network downstairs over ethernet.

Since both Extreme base stations are connected back to your gateway device, they should both be configured for a roaming type network. As such, both should be configured as bridges and set to "Create a wireless network." Neither should be configured to "Extend a wireless network." Is this true for both?

Setting up two 2nd Gen 802.11n Airport Extremes and getting slow internet connection...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.