Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport express will no connect to airport extreme

I have tried to get my airPort Express to connect to AirPort extreme via my iphone using the setting app. It finds the express and it knows i have the extreme. I tell it i want to extend my current network and it finds both units but i get and error message " an unexpected error occurred" try again, ihave tried several time but to no avail.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 5:24 PM

13 replies

Feb 10, 2016 7:11 PM in response to Golfer41

If you have not tried this.......then it is probably worth a try.

Power off the entire network....all devices.....in any order that you want.

Wait a minute, then power up the modem and let it run a few minute

Power up the next device connected to the modem and let it run a full minute

Keep powering up devices one at a time about a minute apart until the entire network is powered up

Power up the AirPort Express as well and let it run a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 5 to 6 seconds, then release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Run the setup again

If still no luck, we really will need the model number of both of the AirPorts.

Feb 11, 2016 5:20 PM in response to Golfer41

The AirPort Extreme is either a "tower" shaped model......or.....it is "flat" or "square" shaped.

If you have the "tower" version, just state that fact.

If you have older "flat" or "square" version, look on the bottom of the device to locate the model number. It is likely embedded in the foam pad base. The model number starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

Please post back that model number.

Feb 11, 2016 5:38 PM in response to Golfer41

If you tried what I suggested above, and you keep getting the "unexpected error" message, then that is pointing to a defective AirPort Express.

The setup software is generally better on an iPhone and iPad than on a Mac, but if you have a Mac, you could try the setup that way as a last resort. If you have a Mac, do you know what operating system it is using? If not.....click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, then click About This Mac and post back with the OS X Version number that you see there.

Feb 11, 2016 7:16 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, I have been trying to set it up using my i Phone and that is where I am getting the message. The rest of my equipment is Microsoft . My best bet may be to take the airport express to the Apple store and see if it will find a wireless network. That would prove that it works, Then unplug the tower and take the tower to the store and see if it works correctly. It really should not be this hard.

Feb 12, 2016 9:31 AM in response to Golfer41

Before you take the AirPort Express in to the store, try one more time this way.

Power off the iPhone

Power off the AirPort Extreme

Power off the AirPort Express

Wait a minute

Power up the AirPort Extreme

Power up the AirPort Express

Power up the iPhone

Try the setup again

If still no luck, I would call Apple Support and ask them to walk you through over the phone. You have free phone support for 90 days on the Express.

airport express will no connect to airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.