Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find the spa/wpa2 security passphrase

I need the WPA/WPA2 Security Password for my Time Capsule. I know my Network password and I know how to use Keychain to look up passwords but I do not know how to find the Passphrase.

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 5:05 PM

6 replies

Feb 11, 2016 4:05 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your response but apparently t's not true... at least as far as Netgear is concerned. When I enter my Wireless Network Password the installation procedure tells me it is invalid and it specifically asks for theWPA/WPA2 Personal security password. I may be wrong but, like WEP, the WPA/WPA2 Personal security password (some refer to it as a passphrase) is for the device (in my case a Time Capsule), not the network. The Time Capsule is dual bandwidth (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz) and I think if I wanted I could set up each band with its own name and password but each would recognize the same WPA/WPA2 security passphrase

Thanks vneef

Feb 11, 2016 5:16 PM in response to vneef

like WEP, the WPA/WPA2 Personal security password (some refer to it as a passphrase) is for the device (in my case a Time Capsule), not the network.

Sorry, but that is not correct. WEP, WPA2, WPA, etc., all refer to security settings for a wireless network.

It is possible that one might use the same password or passphrase for the base station, or device password. But generally, this is not a good thing to do. For example, you might have users who are on the wireless network.....because they have the wireless password. If the base station or device password were the same, then those same users would be able to get into the settings for the Time Capsule using AirPort Utility and change the settings, names, passwords, etc.

The only other thing that I can think of here is what is called a "Pre-Shared Key".....which is a long 64 character code that is generated by the password or passphrase. I can't ever recall that this "key" would be ever needed.....and most devices would not accept a 64 character long phrase anyway. It is used only in relation to the wireless network.

If you are using a Mac to administer the Time Capsule, and you know what operating system it is running.......we can tell you how to find the Time Capsule passwords.......wireless, base station, disk, etc......using AirPort Utility, but frankly other than seeing a long 64 character code......I don't think that you will see anything that you do not already know.

Feb 12, 2016 11:07 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thx. Let me try what you are suggesting since Netgear will not accept my network password when trying to set up their WIFI Extender. They specifically want the WPA2 password (see attached image) User uploaded file

The password that was entered in the above attachment is the password used to access my Time Capsule network so it seems as though that will not work. The Time Capsule I have is the second one I've had. Before that I had a dual band device from apple (looked like a flying saucer) but I've never been asked to provide the WPA2 passphrase. I came across the following on the internet..."There are two versions of WPA2:
WPA2 Personal and WPA2 Enterprise. WPA2 Personal protects unauthorized network access by utilizing a setup password. WPA2 Enterprise verifies network users through a server." Possibly I need the setup password. I never heard it described that way but since I don't seem to know it that doesn't surprise me.

Anyway, any help I can get will be appreciated.

BTW, the network name in the image is the name of my network with "_2GEXT" appended by Netgear for the new network thru the extender. There is also another with "_5GEXT"... one for each bandwidth of the Time Capsule.

Thx vneef

Feb 12, 2016 12:24 PM in response to vneef

They specifically want the WPA2 password (see attached image)

That is exactly what the Time Capsule is using.....WPA2 Personal.....unless you have changed the default wireless security settings. Apple has been using WPA2 Personal as their default setting for a number of years.

WPA2 Personal protects unauthorized network access by utilizing a setup password.

You have already assigned this password to the Time Capsule when you set it up. You already know what it is.

You can see the passwords for the Time Capsule by doing the following:

Open AirPort Utility.......(Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the picture of the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears.....or if you are using an older AirPort Utility version....click Manual Setup

Click the Base Station menu at the very top of the screen......up where you see the other menus like File, Edit, Window, Help, etc

Click Show Passwords

User uploaded file

Every password that you have assigned to the Time Capsule will appear, along with the Pre-Shared "Key" that I mentioned previously. The "key" is impressive to look at, but serves little function otherwise.

I think your main problem is likely one that you may not have considered. Apple uses proprietary settings for their "extend" function, which are designed to only allow other Apple devices to wirelessly extend the network.

So, you may have quite a challenge on your hands to get the Netgear device to work the way that you want. It may not be possible. If it won't do what you want, an Apple device will.....in about 60-90 seconds.....virtually automatically. And....it won't add the suffixes at the end of the wireless name.....so you have the same network extended everywhere.

Feb 12, 2016 5:45 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hello, I was afraid you were going to say that. I found that earlier today and a 64 character key was displayed. However, it still did not help with my netgear installation. At this point I'm fed up. Either the netgear installation is convoluted (I don't believe it is... it should be easy) or the device is defective. In either case I've made arrangements to return it for a refund. I'll look for something else, preferably from apple. I like to minimize vendors.

I was a programmer for 30 years and we had a big poster in the office... it was a picture of Frankenstein and the caption went some like this - when you mix components from different sources you can wind up with a monster.

Thx for your time and trouble.

vneef

How can I find the spa/wpa2 security passphrase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.