Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sync playlist to iPhone

Hi - can anyone provide a link to an article with instructions to sync

a playlist from iTunes 12 to iOS 9.2? I can't find anything recent.

iTunes has changed so much I have a hard time even finding

Manage Music & Videos Manually - the only option I see says

Videos. Thanks, Tom

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 7:38 PM

If you only see a checkbox for Manually manage videos, your iPhone is probably set to sync with your iCloud Music Library, assuming you have one from a subscription to iTunes Match or Apple Music. If you want to sync directly with your iTunes library on your Mac, you can turn OFF iCloud Music Library on the iPhone. Go to the iPhone's (onboard) Settings screen, them Music, and "switch off" iCloud Music Library.

BUT if you have iCloud Music Library turned ON on iPhone, and you have iCloud Music Library turned ON on your Mac, songs and playlists on your Mac are also in your iCloud Music Library; you can access them on your iPhone directly, without syncing. You can either download songs from iCloud Music Library to iPhone, or you can stream them (when you play any song) and not have the song files take up storage space on your iPhone.

If you DO want to sync directly from Mac to iPhone, you should see the checkbox for Manually manage music and videos after turning OFF iCloud Music Library on the iPhone. However, if you want to sync a particular playlist that exists in your iTunes library to the iPhone, the best way to do that is to set up automatic syncing for Music and set it to sync that particular playlist. If you want more info about doing that, please post back.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 7:38 PM in response to Tom Meade1

If you only see a checkbox for Manually manage videos, your iPhone is probably set to sync with your iCloud Music Library, assuming you have one from a subscription to iTunes Match or Apple Music. If you want to sync directly with your iTunes library on your Mac, you can turn OFF iCloud Music Library on the iPhone. Go to the iPhone's (onboard) Settings screen, them Music, and "switch off" iCloud Music Library.

BUT if you have iCloud Music Library turned ON on iPhone, and you have iCloud Music Library turned ON on your Mac, songs and playlists on your Mac are also in your iCloud Music Library; you can access them on your iPhone directly, without syncing. You can either download songs from iCloud Music Library to iPhone, or you can stream them (when you play any song) and not have the song files take up storage space on your iPhone.

If you DO want to sync directly from Mac to iPhone, you should see the checkbox for Manually manage music and videos after turning OFF iCloud Music Library on the iPhone. However, if you want to sync a particular playlist that exists in your iTunes library to the iPhone, the best way to do that is to set up automatic syncing for Music and set it to sync that particular playlist. If you want more info about doing that, please post back.

Feb 11, 2016 11:38 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Very very helpful, Kenichi - especially the instruction to deactivate iCloud Music

Library in Music on iOS - which allowed me to manually Manage both Videos and

Music.

One thing I can't account for though - On My Device: Music there're a dozen songs

I can't account for in Settings, despite toggling the Artist and Genre settings to not

select them.

Overall though, I was able to regain 2GB off space on my 16GB phone - so thanks!

Tom

Feb 11, 2016 12:07 PM in response to Tom Meade1

If you have Manually manage music and videos enabled for your iPhone, that mean you are adding and removing songs manually; there are no "toggles" (for artist, genre, or anything else) that determine what songs are on the iPhone (those settings are only used for automatic syncing).

Select the iPhone in iTunes (click its device button on horizontal bar) to show its settings screen in iTunes window. Along left side of window (in the sidebar), under On My Device, click Music. To the right, you see a list of songs currently on the iPhone. If you see "a dozen songs" that you do not want on the iPhone, select them on that song list and press Delete on keyboard. The songs are manually removed from iPhone.

Feb 11, 2016 12:41 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Kenji - by toggling I meant √ ing a song, hitting Apply then reversing the process.

You know that old trick.

OK, with iPhone selected above, in Music on My Device, I can indeed select one -

but the Delete key doesn't do anything - nor does Control-Click. Moreover up in

the title bar, Edit - there's no Delete command. Strange, those songs appear in a

list with the songs I have selected (using the only sync √'d songs method).

Feb 13, 2016 12:34 PM in response to Tom Meade1

Sorry for the delay. I did not get the email notice that you replied for some reason... Plus your topic is marked Solved so I did not click on it again to see if you had more questions.

If you are checking and unchecking songs to determine the songs that sync to the iPhone, you are not using the Manually manage songs and videos setting. You asked about the Manually manage setting (why it only says "videos") in your first post, so I assumed you wanted to use it. You are actually using automatic syncing. That's fine, but THAT is also why you cannot manually remove songs from the iPod using the method I described; that only works if you are using the Manually manage setting.

Are those "mystery" songs checked or not checked in your iTunes library?

Select the iPod in iTunes (click its device button on horizontal bar) to show its settings screen in iTunes window. Along left side (in the sidebar), under Settings, click Music. To the right, the iPod's Music settings screen is shown, where you set up how iTunes does automatic syncing. Please describe how that screen is currently set up. Or you can take a screen shot and include in your next reply (Cmd-Shift-4 to take screenshot of a part of the screen).

Feb 13, 2016 9:42 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks, Kenichi - -

To review, the question now is why are these mystery songs showing up on device. Yes, I did select

"Sync only √'d songs" - but as a matter of fact all songs (but four that did not get sync'd to the

device) are √'d.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The only Genre selected in "Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres" is Workout. No other

categories - Artists, etc. are selected:

User uploaded file

The songs sync'd to the device include the Workout category but there are a dozen are from several

other categories not selected. This "Music" pane on R can't be edited from this view, nor on the next

drill-down pane "Edit Playlist":

User uploaded file

Here are my device settings:

User uploaded file

Feb 13, 2016 12:34 PM in response to Tom Meade1

A theory about the "mystery" songs... On the iPhone's Music settings screen in iTunes (shown in your first screenshot), scroll all the way to the bottom. Do you have a list there for Manually Added Songs. Since iTunes 11 (I think) you can actually add songs manually to the device (by dragging and dropping), even if it set to use automatic syncing. I don't usually mention this in my comments, because it gets too confusing. But, if you dragged some songs to the iPhone (with Sync Music enabled), those manually added songs appear on that Manually Added Songs list (where you can manually remove them). You won't see that list there, if you don't have any manually added songs on the iPhone.

I have a suggestion for a better way to set up automatic syncing, especially since the number of synced songs is relatively low. You are currently using a genre to sync songs. Most users don't use genre to define syncing. You should use playlists instead, because they are easier to update.

In your iTunes library, create one or more playlists with songs you want on the iPhone. I'll explain this with only ONE playlist, which you can call iPhone Songs. Add all the songs you want on the iPhone to this playlist.

On the iPhone's Music settings screen, set it up as shown in your screenshots, except uncheck Workout under Genres. Nothing should be checked on the four list. Then, under Playlists, find the iPhone Songs playlist you created. Select (checkmark) it. Click Apply to sync your selection (songs and the playlist) to the iPhone.

Going forward, to update songs on the iPhone, just update that iPhone Songs playlist in your iTunes library (add/remove songs). The iPhone does not need to be connected. The next time you connect it (or click Sync if already connected), iTunes automatically updates the iPhone with the same changes. You can create more than one playlist for your iPhone. For example, one can be for your Workout. Another can be your Favorites. And so on... Then select those playlists on the iPhone's Music settings screen. After syncing, the songs and playlists are on your iPhone. You can play the songs directly or from the playlists.

This "Music" pane on R can't be edited from this view...

When you are using Sync Music setting (automatic syncing), you cannot manually remove songs that are synced automatically. That's why that list is "see only." If your iPod is set to Manually manage music and videos, THEN you can manually add AND remove songs.

Feb 13, 2016 12:33 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Kenichi - I followed your advice about syncing playlists. Thank you.

There's some action that removes Manage manually - haven't isolated

it but will watch carefully from now on to make sure it's selected before

Apply(ing). Under Manually I found that you are correct as I was able

to delete the errant items from my device. Thanks again, Tom

Feb 13, 2016 1:00 PM in response to Tom Meade1

That was a good idea. I didn't specifically suggest it, but you set it to Manually manage to remove the offending songs, and then set it back to automatic syncing when you started using playlists for syncing.

In case I caused confusion, just to clarify, the TWO settings for Sync Music (on the iPod's Music settings screen) AND Manually manage music and videos (on the iPod's Summary settings screen) are mutually exclusive. That is, it is not possible for both to be checked at the same time. Checking Sync Music turns ON automatic syncing, and unchecks Manually manage. Checking Manually manage turn OFF automatic syncing (unchecks Sync Music). So...

There's some action that removes Manage manually - haven't isolated it but will watch carefully from now on to make sure it's selected before Apply(ing).

if you are now using automatic syncing using playlists (Sync Music is checked), the checkbox for Manually manage music and videos should NOT be checked. If you checkmark it (and Apply), you will turn OFF automatic syncing. Just leave Manually manage music and videos unchecked.

sync playlist to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.