Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone 5 battery is swelling.

My iPhone 5 battery has never lasted long. Finally this year it would only stay charged for a few hours. I didn't know at the time that the battery was swelling - a known issue. In December my 22 year old son went in to cardiac arrest. I stayed in the hospital with him the entire month of December. Once we were back I was caring for him. Now I believe I missed the deadline for getting it replaced for free. I think mine might have qualified but it ran out December. Either way I took it to the Apple Store and was told I can have it replaced for a new iPhone 5 for a little over $70. This was a known issue and Apple was replacing these phones. The apple tech told me the phone could explode. No lie.

I wish Apple stood behind its products and fixed its mistakes. My son is wearing a defibrillator vest and he has to be able to contact me any time. We have thousands of dollars of debt from his open heart surgery. And now I have to pay Apple to replace my iPhone because of a defective swelling battery that can explode and has caused people burns.

Has anyone else had to PAY to have a swelling battery iphone 5 replaced??

iPhone 5, null

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 5:51 PM

Agoosa wrote:

Yes, people have had to pay to replace defective batteries on phones that are out of warranty or outside of a special recall program.

You can try calling Apple Technical Support and asking to speak to a supervisor. Explain, in a calm, polite fashion why you were not able to get to the Apple Store during the applicable time period and ask if it is possible for an exception to be made.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2016 5:51 PM in response to Agoosa

Agoosa wrote:

Yes, people have had to pay to replace defective batteries on phones that are out of warranty or outside of a special recall program.

You can try calling Apple Technical Support and asking to speak to a supervisor. Explain, in a calm, polite fashion why you were not able to get to the Apple Store during the applicable time period and ask if it is possible for an exception to be made.

My iphone 5 battery is swelling.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.