Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a document in Preview. I want to rewrite the document, but it's not letting me?

I have a document in Preview. I want to edit this document, but the system is not allowing me to do it. Suggestions ?

Power PC G5, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 6:33 PM

2 replies

Feb 10, 2016 10:18 PM in response to HMcGuire

VikingOSX has provided you information regard how you might be able to edit parts of a PDF document 'directly' on your Mac.

Keep in mind that a PDF document is not really designed to be altered. Generally documents are more easily altered using the application that created them.

IF the document you have opened in Preview is a PDF you MIGHT be able to select most of the text, copy it then paste it into Pages or TextEdit. If you are lucky this will retain most of the formatting. You are unlikely to be able to obtain any images using this method and you may need to perform the operation in several small steps to obtain most of the text.

IF the document is a JPEG or something other than a PDF you are unlikely to be able to select the text.

I have a document in Preview. I want to rewrite the document, but it's not letting me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.