Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I need a credit card to make a new ID?

Honestly, I think it's stupid. I'm not going to be buying anything so what's the point? It's useless unless you're actually buying apps or music, but i'm not. Guess it isn't as simple and easy as it used to be. I can say that i'm really starting to dislike Apple products now. I've looked it up, the only way to click "None" for the payment method seems to say that I may have a "purchase history" or "late fee", something like that, but I don't. I just bought this phone not even a week ago and had to use my old account from years and years ago. Which I didn't want to use, obviously because i'm trying to make a new one. Really wish it was as easy to make a new one as it used to be, now I have to put in a credit card, for literally no reason, let me remind you.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 5:56 PM

2 replies

Feb 10, 2016 6:03 PM in response to CuteEmoji

In order to start using your iTunes account, even for free apps, Apple (like many other online companies) does a bank check to make sure you are who you say you are.

Once verified, you can then change your payment method to none and shop away for free stuff.

This is a measure to reduce fraud and ultimately benefits all of us.

Why do I need a credit card to make a new ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.