Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 fell into a drain. Touch ID not working.

2 days ago, I went out for running and my phone fell into a drain. The phone fell into the water bottom part first and was fully submerged. It stayed on for 4 minutes before shutting off on its own. It has been off for 48 hours and I was unable to switch it on at first but I charged and the empty battery icon came up and the Apple logo as well.

Touch ID doesn't work and for a brief 20 seconds, Siri kept popping up and I was directed to the home page and as I was typing, the keyboard would keep swiping down. I know the warranty doesn't cover for water damage but I'm just gonna put this out here, the one year warranty has expired.

Does anyone know the cost of fixing this?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 11:01 AM

This is big problem .... Water damaged. There is probably corrosion around the home button connection bottom half part of your phone.. Thats probably why it was going to siri on its on.. The corrosion is causing short in the pin connector.

There is a bunch of people here on this forum who will disagree with opening up your own device....

There is a chance to fix this problem... But first.. >> Go to apple store and tell them what happened.. see what options they give you. Make sure to tell them that you don't want to lose your data... ask them first what they plan on doing to fix the problem before agreeing, just in case cus your phone is not in warranty.. Than if they can't fix or won't fix than you can take a chance and try fix yourself.... My bet is they will give you out of warranty price for new phone.

Other option is

Hope that gives you some options.

<Edited by Host>

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2016 11:01 AM in response to mlieskyx3

This is big problem .... Water damaged. There is probably corrosion around the home button connection bottom half part of your phone.. Thats probably why it was going to siri on its on.. The corrosion is causing short in the pin connector.

There is a bunch of people here on this forum who will disagree with opening up your own device....

There is a chance to fix this problem... But first.. >> Go to apple store and tell them what happened.. see what options they give you. Make sure to tell them that you don't want to lose your data... ask them first what they plan on doing to fix the problem before agreeing, just in case cus your phone is not in warranty.. Than if they can't fix or won't fix than you can take a chance and try fix yourself.... My bet is they will give you out of warranty price for new phone.

Other option is

Hope that gives you some options.

<Edited by Host>

Feb 10, 2016 9:17 PM in response to mlieskyx3

If the TouchID sensor has been damaged, then at this point in time, there is nothing that anyone except Apple can do to fix this. As has been clearly defined by the Error 53 issue that is raging on the internet right now, if the Touch ID is damaged, and if it is replaced or if its cable is in any way interfered with (accidentally or intentionally), then when you next upgrade the device, it will be hosed.

Here is a well thought-out article that goes through the whole thing in detail and explains why the iPhone 6's and up are so greatly affected by this issue:

ERROR 53 INTELLIGENT WRITE-UP

Best of luck, and hope you are able to get this rectified.

GB

Feb 11, 2016 7:58 AM in response to gail from maine

This is not necessary true. If the Home button is repairable than you can fix error 53. I have done this before. A customer came in and had bad connectivity that was located from the long cable connection to the home button connection flex cable. I Fixed it and restored his phone. This only works if the home button is the original home button to the phone and is deemed repairable. If the original home button itself is damaged to the point of no return than Yes Gail is correct, you will be screwed. .. In the case of moisture and corrosion of the connector there might be a chance to recovery this problem. I have done it several times.

So there is a chance here. I guess if data recovery is not an issue and cost for out of warranty is not an issue than go to apple for that. otherwise this could be looked at and possible repaired with original home button.

Feb 11, 2016 12:32 PM in response to mlieskyx3

mlieskyx3,

As you can see, there seem to be a lot of people posting here who are recommending that you take your phone apart and fix the problem yourself. They don't seem to want to tell you that, despite their claims, Apple has made it patently clear that once a phone is opened by an unauthorized party (meaning not Apple and not an AASP), you take a very real and very likely risk that you will not be able to get any help from Apple once that has occurred.

Since you won't be taking your device directly to these posters, and since they have no way to know what your skill or knowledge level of doing intricate hardware repairs on a delicate, complex, micro-computer, they have no way to ensure that their advice will be successful. Their agenda is clear - they are not interested in finding the best outcome for you, they are interested in furthering their "right to do-it-yourself" movement.

If you take a look at the article I posted the link to above, you will see that the author has provided a very thorough and detailed explanation of why you don't want someone other than Apple messing with your iPhone 6 or above device - especially when the issue involves the Touch ID.

No one is disputing that people have the right to make a choice. I'm certainly not disputing that there could be circumstances in which having a 3rd party repair your device is the most economical, and most reasonable route to take. I do take exception to the cavalier way in which several posters are saying that they have done this many times and it has always worked out fine. If you read the linked article, you will see why I am dubious about this claim.

Proceed at your own risk here, and make the decision that makes the most sense to you.

Best of luck with your issue,

GB

Feb 11, 2016 12:48 PM in response to mlieskyx3

mlieskyx3 wrote:

2 days ago, I went out for running and my phone fell into a drain. The phone fell into the water bottom part first and was fully submerged. It stayed on for 4 minutes before shutting off on its own. It has been off for 48 hours and I was unable to switch it on at first but I charged and the empty battery icon came up and the Apple logo as well.

Touch ID doesn't work and for a brief 20 seconds, Siri kept popping up and I was directed to the home page and as I was typing, the keyboard would keep swiping down. I know the warranty doesn't cover for water damage but I'm just gonna put this out here, the one year warranty has expired.

Does anyone know the cost of fixing this?

Yes, the cost from Apple is listed here: Apple - Support - Service Answer Center In the US, for an iPhone 6 Apple will replace the phone for $299, about 1/3 the cost of a new phone. The warranty on the replacement is 90 days or the remainder of the original warranty on the phone, whichever is longer.

Feb 12, 2016 6:25 AM in response to Jimaymay

Jimaymay wrote:

Can anybody provide this person with a place that can actually help?

Unfortunately, no. Based on a large number of the posts of independent repair shop owners who've recently joined these forums, I would be very hesitant to recommend any independent repair shop. I'm sure there are some good ones. A couple of people who've posted here have seemed reasonable. However, most have made grossly inappropriate suggestions.

iPhone 6 fell into a drain. Touch ID not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.