Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Ipod screen is too dim to see

I have an older original ipod. It's up to date in all of it's software and seems to be working just fine.

My problem is that the screen is so dim it's almost impossible to see with our holding it directly under a light.

I've gone through all the settings I can find to adjust the backlight and screen brightness adjustments.

Is there something broken in the device or is this something I can fix myself?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 7:24 PM

5 replies

Feb 10, 2016 9:14 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Sorry I was incorrect when I referred to it as an original ipod.

I meant that it was a "classic' ipod and it is fairly old; it's a 4 GB ipod Nano, Software Version 1.1.3

I believe I have completed every possible restore option, both manually on the device and by plugging it into my MacBook Pro and using itunes as you described.

The screen remains so dim I can not see it without holding it directly under a light.

I have adjusted the brightness setting all the way up and down, on and off, it doesn't seem to change the actual brightness either way.

Feb 10, 2016 8:38 PM in response to Michael McK

If you have not already, first try a Reset (restart) on the iPod

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support

The backlight may be faulty, either OFF all the time or not bright enough. If the screen is difficult to read in normal room light, it is probably not an "original" iPod, since the earliest iPods have a monochrome screen that is easy to read in ambient light (with or without the backlight). So it has a color screen? Here's a list of all iPod models, if you'd like to identify it precisely

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/index-ipod-specs.html

Since you already tried adjusting the settings for backlight, try the Reset All Settings command (it may be called Reset Settings). It should be at the bottom of the iPod's (onboard) Settings screen. This resets the iPod's internal settings to default, including the settings for backlight. Then try adjusting the backlight settings again.

If that does not help, you can try doing a Restore on the iPod using iTunes.

NOTE: If your iPod is 4th gen (like "iPod Photo"), you may need the USB power adapter that came with it or another Apple power adapter (like one from iPhone or iPad) to complete the Restore process. Third-party power adapters often do not work for this purpose.

The Restore button is on the iPod's settings screen in iTunes. This erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it default settings.

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If the Restore does not resolve the problem, the cause is likely to be related to a hardware problem on the iPod.

Feb 10, 2016 10:29 PM in response to Michael McK

A 4GB iPod nano is too old to be serviced by Apple, so you'd have to find a technician in your area who can get the part and do the work. If you are technically inclined, you can try doing it yourself. This web site has repair guides.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Nano

Question: Which specific iPod nano model is it, by generation? See the previous link for a list, or this one

Identify your iPod model - Apple Support

My Ipod screen is too dim to see

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.