Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I really need a credit card?

Why can't I download or update my apps without a credit card? I checked for missing payments but I have none. I tried to remove the old card I had but I can't because it says I have a billing problem with a previous purchase but I haven't bought anything in months! I've also cancelled my automatic renewals so I don't know what it could be.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 7:47 PM

4 replies

Feb 10, 2016 11:57 PM in response to Ddmarie_bby

iTunes will give the error message as billing problem with a previous purchase only if previous purchase has an un-paid order.

Pay an unpaid balance in the iTunes Store - Apple Support

See your purchase history in the iTunes Store on a Mac or PC - Apple Support

Until the un-paid order amount is not cleared iTunes will not accept any cards and even you user cant access free apps. Once the un-paid order balance is cleared you will be able to resume purchasing from iTunes Store account.

iTunes gift cards can be used for paying the un-paid order amount. Note - only in computer or MAC you can pay the un-paid order amount using store credit

Do I really need a credit card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.