Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Its played in the past.I works with my PC.It wont play music on my PIoneer AVIC-5100 car receiver

I purchased my Ipod Classic 160gb.I enjoy it immensely but I'm having a problem.My Ipod Classic 160gb plays excellent on my PC.I own a Pioneer AVIC-5100NEX reciever in my car.The Ipod Classic has played in the past but it wont now.When I go to settings The receiver doesn't acknowledge that the Ipod Classic exist!Can you help?

Windows 7

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 8:43 PM

What kind of cable does the Pioneer system use to connect to the iPod? Is it possible to try using a different one, to rule out faulty cable as the cause? If the iPod connects fine to your PC, the likely cause is likely to be in the connection between iPod and Pioneer system, or the Pioneer system itself.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 8:43 PM in response to hounddogcrj

What kind of cable does the Pioneer system use to connect to the iPod? Is it possible to try using a different one, to rule out faulty cable as the cause? If the iPod connects fine to your PC, the likely cause is likely to be in the connection between iPod and Pioneer system, or the Pioneer system itself.

Feb 11, 2016 5:16 AM in response to hounddogcrj

I'm asking, because you did not specify that you are using the same cable on the PC that you use in the car. If it was me, I'd have one cable in the car and one cable connected to the PC, so that I'm not constantly plugging and unplugging it and wearing out either the USB port or the USB connector on the cable. I'm trying to confirm you ruled out the most likely cause (bad or worn out cable).

If you have not already, do a Reset (restart) on the iPod, and then try it again.

Learn how to reset your iPod - Apple Support

If that does not help, you may want to do a Restore on the iPod using iTunes. It's not that likely, but there may be data corruption on the iPod affecting its software. There has not been any software update for your iPod in a long time, so it's not a recently introduced "bug." The Restore erases the iPod, reinstalls its software, and sets it to default settings. The Restore button is on the iPod's Summary settings screen in iTunes.

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

If that does not help either... If the cable is fine, and the iPod works when connected to the computer using the same cable, the cause is likely to be a problem on the Pioneer system or at the connection point to it. I know you said that other device works, but it uses a different cable to connect. It sounds like you are connecting and disconnecting on that USB port often, so it may be worn out in a way that no longer makes a data connection to the iPod's USB docking cable (which is probably worn out in a similar way). That other device's cable may have less wear on its connector, so it still connects. And your computer's USB port may be fine, so it still connects iPod using the same cable.

If you have or can get a new (or newer) USB to 30-pin docking cable, that may allow you to connect the iPod to the Pioneer system. And if that works, you may want to leave that cable connected most of the time, and use the existing one with your PC only.

Its played in the past.I works with my PC.It wont play music on my PIoneer AVIC-5100 car receiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.