Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime Player didn't save my screen recording.

Hey so I did a screen recording for a project I'm currently working on and I finished to press the button to finish the screen recording...it just stopped but the button on the top right was still there and it didn't save my file.

/Users/[your name]/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Autosave Information

but no luck sadly. Anyone know any way I can recover my unsaved screen recording?

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.2.1, OS X

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 3:01 PM

Hi

I just spent 4 hours trying to locate the Quicktime audio recording which I have been unable to save because the app was stuck. I tried all the other ways that I found online and was unable to locate the unsaved file. Trying to stop Quicktime through Kill [PID] also did not work.

I am sharing here below what ultimately worked for me.

- Open the Activity Monitor

- Select Quicktime

- Under the "View" tab on top of the screen, select "Inspect Process"

- A new window appears, click on the 3rd tab on the left "Open Files and Ports"

- At this point you`ll see a long list of folders. Locate the files that ends with .MOV

You may find more that one file. Copy the entire line, which might be, as it was for me, something like this

/private/var/folders/r1/1hxdx7yj3h3gqylz1zmcf83r0000gp/T/TemporaryItems/53686840 5.640005112.mov

- Go back to Finder, click on the tab Go and then select "Go To Folder" and paste what your previously copied.

- A window should then open where you`ll find the temporary file. Some file were 0 MB and only one was 200 MB which was the actual recording. I repeated the process of copying and pasting with 3 files.

-Copy and paste the correct file on your desktop.

Best of luck!
G

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2018 3:01 PM in response to rickyg1990

Hi

I just spent 4 hours trying to locate the Quicktime audio recording which I have been unable to save because the app was stuck. I tried all the other ways that I found online and was unable to locate the unsaved file. Trying to stop Quicktime through Kill [PID] also did not work.

I am sharing here below what ultimately worked for me.

- Open the Activity Monitor

- Select Quicktime

- Under the "View" tab on top of the screen, select "Inspect Process"

- A new window appears, click on the 3rd tab on the left "Open Files and Ports"

- At this point you`ll see a long list of folders. Locate the files that ends with .MOV

You may find more that one file. Copy the entire line, which might be, as it was for me, something like this

/private/var/folders/r1/1hxdx7yj3h3gqylz1zmcf83r0000gp/T/TemporaryItems/53686840 5.640005112.mov

- Go back to Finder, click on the tab Go and then select "Go To Folder" and paste what your previously copied.

- A window should then open where you`ll find the temporary file. Some file were 0 MB and only one was 200 MB which was the actual recording. I repeated the process of copying and pasting with 3 files.

-Copy and paste the correct file on your desktop.

Best of luck!
G

Feb 11, 2016 8:36 AM in response to rickyg1990

Hey so I did a screen recording for a project I'm currently working on and I finished to press the button to finish the screen recording...it just stopped but the button on the top right was still there and it didn't save my file.

/Users/[your name]/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Autosave Information

but no luck sadly. Anyone know any way I can recover my unsaved screen recording?

If you are saying the "Autosave Information" folder is empty, then there is no way to recover the temporary recording. On the other hand, if the "Autosave Information" folder still contains the PLIST and "package" files, then simply open the "package" file using the Context menu "Show Package Contents" option and drag the MOV file (or a copy of the MOV file) to any convenient Finder location for normal user access.

User uploaded file

Quicktime Player didn't save my screen recording.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.